Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

January 17th, 2009 19:00

My xps m1730 is goin really slow

hello i got the following system intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz 2gb ram and nvidia geforce go 8700 GT and i used to have my computer the way the company gave it to me with the rescue disk and everything but them i got hit by a virus and i had to erease all the HD including DELL rescue part, so i went and instaled back vista with Dell cd and all the drivers video, sound etc all the selected for me on the cd but the performance wasnt even close to the same anymore i think my video cards are not working how they supposed bfore i played world of warcraft with full grapics and i had a good frame rate arround 30 fps now i cant even get 10 fps so i tought maybe is vista ? so i bought xp and installed it and followed the steps but the fps still very low doesnt pass 10 fps and when im actually playing goes to 4 or 5 so im gona past here my video card sistem i think the problem is that theyre not working on sli and thats why im getting such a slow system 

Geforce 8700 GT

forceware version: 176.78

memory: 256 mb

video bios version: 60.84.62.00.06

IRQ: 17

BUS:  PCI EXPRESS X16

Geforce 8700 GT

forceware version: 176.78

memory: 256 mb

video bios version: 60.84.62.00.07

IRQ: 0

BUS:  PCI EXPRESS X16 (I THINK THE PROBLEMS IS ON IRQ PART ) plz some one help me

4.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 07:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

First of all... whilst it's 'spilt milk' now... I don't think you actually needed to format the hard drive, and install the OS from scratch, because it's unlikely the virus would've affected the 'Restore' partition?

Bugbatter would be able to confirm that?

Anyways... whilst it's perfectly acceptable to use/install the drivers/software provided on CD with the system - to get you up and running initially, it's advisable to check the 'Drivers & Downloads' section, and download/install the latest drivers available, at the earliest opportunity.

It's also important to install drivers in a certain order :emotion-55:

Re graphics drivers:  Whilst it's usually recommended you only use drivers offered by Dell themselves, their graphics drivers are often very old.

I suggest therefore, you try the latest official Notebook Drivers from Nvidia (v179.28) - released for the first time a month ago today (18th December 2008) :emotion-55:

I've been using them myself since they were released, and I have no problems at all with a sluggish system.

So try updating all your drivers, to see of they make any difference? 

And be sure to enable SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel, once you've installed the new graphics drivers :emotion-55:

Finally...  I assume you're aware that Dell might not offer you tech support, now that you've installed XP?

They're only obliged to offer support for systems using the OS which was pre-installed on the system when you bought it.

8 Posts

January 20th, 2009 14:00

ok so i did everything u said i got the drivers from the site so i got the lastest versions, i installed in a certain orden has Dell told me to, and i instaled the video drivers from Nvidia and im still getting a real slow computer its never been this slow i ran the system evaluation that windows vista has and the results where

processor 2.9

ram memory 2.8

video 5.9

game video 5.3

HD 5.3

overall 2.8 i used to have 4.9 with this same system so something must be goin wrong i have tried everything i dont know whats goin on, PD i dont know if it has something to do with im runing the laptop with no batery cuz im currently living in a country where a batery for this laptop cant be found so this perfomance problem has something to do with that? i dont know what else to try

8 Posts

January 20th, 2009 14:00

asdaasdasd

4.6K Posts

January 21st, 2009 14:00

asdaasdasd

Pardon?

I'd suggest you'd be best advised to call tech support, because there's obviously something seriously wrong somewhere.

No Events found!