Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2013 11:00

N5030 turns on and than off

I have a N5030 it was giving me the beeping 7 times, so I replaced the motherboard and the cpu. I got it to startup and work but than the touchpad wouldn't work so I did a system check including the bios and my battery ran out and so that process stopped. When I plugged in the ac and hit the start button, I got a black screen. I unplugged everything inside and out and now it turns on and shuts off quickly. Help what is going on with this laptop?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 3rd, 2013 20:00

Hi sbdorman,

While updating the BIOS both the battery and the adapter should be plugged in, since the BIOS was interrupted this would lead to a motherboard failure. However, try removing both the memory modules and check if the system is working.  Use the Service manual for instructions on how to remove the memory

http://bit.ly/XZsWZK

If the problem persists you may have to replace the motherboard. Please use the link to check the warranty status of your system.

http://dell.to/Mbe3zg 

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code and click on submit and you can check for the warranty status.

In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case you’re from different region please get back to us.

5 Posts

February 7th, 2013 20:00

Hi, I got my system to start up again, but using my old motherboard with a new CPU. The reason why I got a new motherboard was because my battery wouldn't charge. So now that I tried two different motherboards that gave me the 7 beep error, I was able to use my old one with a new CPU and I replaced the jack socket. Now it still won't charge the battery. I did buy a new battery and charger from dell so I know they aren't faulty. Is there something else that is causing the battery not to charge?

Thanks, Syndi

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 9th, 2013 01:00

Hi sbdorman,

Please check the adapter is detected in BIOS page. Follow the steps below.

Tap ‘F2’ as soon as the computer starts to enter the system setup or BIOS           

Under the General tab > select battery information > check the ac adapter is 65 w. in case the adapter is not detected, try with a different adapter and check if the adapter is detected in BIOS.

Let us know about the progress.

5 Posts

February 10th, 2013 20:00

Hi,

I looked at the BIOS under battery information and it doesn't recognize the ac adapater. I tried 2 different adapters that are dell 65w and it just shows the battery is discharging and not charging. When I plug in the ac adapter, the green light goes out on it. This is why I bought a new motherboard in the first place, but they never worked. Could there be a short somewhere? The CPU fan?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 14th, 2013 21:00

Hi sbdorman,

Thanks for performing all the troubleshooting steps; this seems to be an issue with the motherboard. So please consider replacing the motherboard.

“To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA “ 

No Events found!