Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2013 09:00

N7110 Wireless Card

Having had this laptop for 18 months, I just realized that it cannot use 5 GHZ to achive N network speeds. I've done a lot of reading over the past week about the Intel 1030 wifi card and tried some of the suggestions to no avail. I know the card is a dual Bluetooth/Wifi card and from all I have read, it's "not good".

So I would like to replace it with something that I would be able to use to connect to my 5 GHZ network since I cannot play videos from a share drive that I have.

Can someone reccomend a replacement? I have seen newer Intel Wifi cards for laptops but not sure which one is compatible.

Or should I just buy a USB adapter? But then I will lose my Bluetooth functionality if I turn off the 1030?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions/comments.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 5th, 2013 11:00

Hi rdmsys,

Well, the Intel Centrino Wireless N-1030 does not have the dual band feature that you are looking for. Dell has tested a number of wireless cards with this laptop model ( N7110 ) , but the ones that work on dual mode channel are just two. They are as follows:

1. Intel WLAN/WiMax Link 6150 (Dell Part# WT8X2) : Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n modes with dual band frequency but does not have the bluetooth feature. Supports WiMAX and WiDi (Wireless Display) and is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. Also supports WEP , WPA, WPA2 types of network security. 

2. Intel Centrino Wireless N-6230 (Dell Part# XXG96) : Supports Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n modes with dual band frequency and Bluetooth 3.0 but does not have the WiMAX capability. Also supports WiDi (Wireless Display) and is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. Supports WEP , WPA, WPA2 types of network security as well.

You can buy any of the two cards mentioned above which are tested and are compatible with your Dell Inspiron N7110. On instructions how to replace the wireless card, please refer to the user manual for your computer by copy and pasting the link below on your browser:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17r-n7110_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Please follow the safety instructions / guidelines before you begin.

Hope this helps.

18 Posts

August 5th, 2013 13:00

Thank you Jyotpal! I will go with the N-6230, seems like the better of the two since I need Bluetooth.

Thanks again for your quick response!

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 5th, 2013 13:00

Hi rdmsys,

You are welcome! Yes, the N-6230 is a good choice out of the two as you can use its Bluetooth capability.

If you have any other queries, then feel free to respond and I shall get in touch with you again. 

Assuring the best of our services. Have a great day ahead. 

Take care.

18 Posts

August 6th, 2013 09:00

Jyotpal,

One more thing. A few people have stated that they have had to update their BIOS in order to install this? Is that true? And I have ordered the card, do the drivers come with it or will I need to download them from DELL?

Anything else I should be wary of when installing and configuring. Only reason I ask is because when I got the laptop originaly from DELL I had a lot of WIRELESS connection issues. Not sure if it was solely related to the card....

Thanks again.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 6th, 2013 11:00

Hi rdmsys,

Yes, it is always recommended to update the BIOS to the latest version before making any hardware changes to the computer. To download the BIOS for your laptop, click here .

Make sure you have unplugged all the peripherals connected to the computer and you do have the charger plugged in. Also, the battery should possess above 10% of charge for the BIOS to be updated. Do not unplug the adapter while BIOS is in the process of updating itself. The computer might restart once or twice during BIOS updation.

For downloading the drivers of the Intel Centrino N-6230 wireless card you can go to the Intel's webpage here and select the operating system from the list and then download the particular driver you need from the list. Also make sure which version of Windows you are using as drivers for 32-bit are different from that of a 64-bit operating system.

Well, about the wireless issues, I am not quite sure where the problem was. However, this is a good card and we have been shipping this card with most of the laptop models and haven't yet reported any major issue as such. So I believe it should work absolutely fine with your Dell Inspiron N7110

Hope this helps. For any other queries, please feel free to reply and I shall get back in touch with you. 

Take care.

18 Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Hello Jyotpal,

I have received the card today and am ready to install. One thing regarding the BIOS upgrade. I have the exe. My system is Win 8. To be honest I have not updated a BIOS in a long time. In the old days we would boot to DOS to run the exe.

Do I just open a command prompt from the Win 8 desktop and run the exe? I imagine it will update on a reboot?

I just don't want to hose up my system before I get a chance to put the card in! LOL....

Thanks again!

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 9th, 2013 10:00

Hi rdmsys,

These days updating the BIOS is quite easy. We do not need to boot the computer into DOS mode or anything. I have mentioned the steps below, you can follow them and easily update the BIOS.

First download the BIOS from here (Windows 8) . Then,

• Unplug all the peripherals from the laptop.
  • Make sure the Ac Adapter is plugged in
  • Make sure the battery is above 10% charge
  • If all the above points are met, double click to run the BIOS exe file and then it would automatically start the BIOS update process.
  • Do not unplug the charger or manually shut the computer down during the process.
  • The computer will restart a couple of times and automatically then boot into windows.
That's it! Once it has booted back into Windows, you can check and the BIOS would be updated already. You can then proceed with the installation of the wireless card. 
For instructions on how to replace the wireless card, you can refer to the manual from the link below:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17r-n7110_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf
Hope this helps.

18 Posts

August 9th, 2013 10:00

Once again, THANK YOU!

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 9th, 2013 12:00

Hi rdmsys,

You are welcome, once again! :emotion-1:

Please feel free to reply if you have any other queries regarding the computer. I will be glad to help.

18 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 13:00

JYOTPAL,

Well, the card is installed and I have a problem. When I install the driver, (I tried the DELL and INTEL ones), it acts like it installs. However, when I go into Device Manager, I get the YELLOW Exclamation and the message says CANNOT START.

Before I replace it with the old one, do you have any suggestions?

It's a 64 Bit Windows 8 machine.

Thank you.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 16:00

Hi rdmsys,

You can try and download this driver by click here and then install it in Windows 7 compatibility mode. To install the Driver in compatibility mode follow the steps below:

• Download the driver
  • Run it and unzip it
  • If it automatically starts the installation wizard, then cancel it
  • Do to the default extract location, C:/dell/drivers/R311883 and then look for setup file
  • Right click on the setup file and select Properties.
  • Then go to Compatibility tab
  • Put a Check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 7 from the list
  • Also put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator. 
  • Click on Apply and then OK

Now, double click on the setup file and run it. Install the driver and restart the computer. Check for driver functionality and do post a screenshot of your device manager in case of any issues so that we can take a look at it for better understanding

Awaiting for your response.

18 Posts

August 25th, 2013 13:00

Jyotpal,

Same thing happens. I even rebuilt a new system using Windows 7 thinking it was a Windows 8 issue, but I got the same thing.

Says device cannot start.

At this point I don't know what else to do.

Would it be worth it to contact support and have them look at via a remote session?

Thanks.

18 Posts

August 26th, 2013 09:00

What I also don't get is that I was getting the drivers off DELL and INTEL. However, when I go to the DELL Support site and put in my model/service tag I get the following which look different than the drivers I have been trying to install. Version 14, 15, 16. Can you please tell me WHICH of these I should install and in what order?

File TitleImportanceRelease DateVersionActions

Recommended                               
                            10/25/2012                       
2.5.21.40054, A00
  • Vendor Version : 2.5.21.40054
  • Dell Version : A00
Description                       
Intel Centrino Wireless (Bluetooth Adapter), Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 Bluetooth v3.0 + HS                   

Recommended                               
                            10/25/2012                       
15.2.0.19, A02
  • Vendor Version : 15.2.0.19
  • Dell Version : A02
                            Description                       
                                        This package provides Intel Wi-Fi Driver and is supported on Inspiron, Vostro Notebook, XPS Notebook running the following Windows Operatign                                    more…
This package provides Intel Wi-Fi Driver and is supported on Inspiron, Vostro Notebook, XPS Notebook running the following Windows Operatign Systems: Windows 7 - 64bit, Windows 8 - 64bit.                               

Recommended                               
                            10/25/2012                       
WLAN_10.0.0.75/BT_8.0.0.206, A02
  • Vendor Version : WLAN_10.0.0.75/BT_8.0.0.206
  • Dell Version : A02
                            Description                       
DW1702 WLAN/BT WHCK'd released for Win8                   

Intel WiFi Driver (Application)
                                    Recommended                               
                            10/19/2012                       
15.5.5.47, A00
  • Vendor Version : 15.5.5.47
                            Description                       
Intel(R) 6150 module WiFi driver and application on Win8 64 bit                   

Intel WiMAX Driver (Application)
                                    Recommended                               
                            10/19/2012                       
7.5.1007, A00
  • Vendor Version : 7.5.1007
                            Description                       
Driver release for Intel(R) 6150 WiMax module on Win8 64 bit

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 26th, 2013 11:00

Hi rdmsys,

This should not happen if you have re-installed the operating system. Is the wireless card getting detected in the device manager? Please send me a screenshot of the same. Also I would like to have the Hardware ID of the card. To know the Hardware ID:

• Open Device Manager
  • Right click on the wireless card and click on properties
  • Follow the image below

Once you have copied the Hardware ID, paste it here and then send it to me. Let me have a look at this, if needed I will be taking the remote access of the computer. Also would request you to send the service tag / express service code of the computer to me via private message and not on this thread along with your contact details and the best time to reach you. I shall then get in touch with you soon.

Looking forward to get this issue fixed asap

18 Posts

August 26th, 2013 19:00

there is no hardware id I assume because there is a problem with the driver (or card)? this is what it says under detailsI

ntel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230

nothing else. the code is 10 (cant start device). many people with the same problem. very frustrating. this is a brand new install of windows 7 _64 home premium. nothing can be conflicting. there's nothing installed 3rd party. please log in to my computer and check for yourself! thx...i'm available now!

reno

No Events found!