Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

5 Posts

April 19th, 2004 13:00

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS when plugging USB key drive

I'm getting the above error whenever I plug a USB key drive on my Latitude X300 (OS WIN XP SP1).

Details:

- Docked on docking station:

if I plug when the system is on blue screen and above error

if I plug before boot, system DOES NOT boot until I unplug

only way to make it work: plug during WIndows XP loading splash screen

- Undocked

if I plug when the system is on blue screen and above error

if I plug before boot, system boots OK and works

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

5 Posts

April 19th, 2004 13:00

P.S. I've already tried updating system BIOS and Dell Notebook System Software... No success...

5 Posts

April 28th, 2004 12:00

Apparently I'm not the only Dell user who has got a problem with USB devices...

Check out!

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21497

2 Posts

May 5th, 2004 14:00

I am having the exact same probem on a Latitude D600 with XP sp1.  I get BSOD whether docked or undocked.  Did you ever get yours to work properly???

JT

2 Posts

May 5th, 2004 15:00

I got this from another website:

"OK, no guarantees, but with WinXP Pro SP1, when ever I plugged in a USB pen Drive, I would get a stop error 0x35, and reboot. To solve the problem I did three things.

1. Went back to the standard USB 2 drivers, provided with WinXP, instead of using the later VIA USB 2 drivers.
2. Set the Removable Storage Service to Automatic, instead of the default of Manual start.
3. Increased IRPStackSize in the registry, as outlined in the MS knowledge base article Q177078. Error 0x35 is reported in Bugcheck as NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS.

After doing this, inserting the USB Drive will work most of the time. I can still bring the system down by inserting the Drive, removing it, and inserting the Drive again within a short time frame.

I hope that this information helps, but you may just have to play with Mr. Gates until you get the problem is solved.

On two other WinXP machines, one of which is SP1, there is no problem at all. For this reason I suspect that the base problem may be related to some other driver on the system. My workaround is only a temporary fix."

5 Posts

May 5th, 2004 16:00

The answer to your question is unfortunately no, I just gave up and I now make sure I plug the pen drive before booting. Once booted successfully you can freely plug and unplug. (By the way: eventually I found out that it boots even when docked… It just takes forever…)

I’ve read your quotation and I also definitely suspect this is a problem with the USB 2.0 drive (mine is by Intel) but I much prefer living with this to starting screwing around with my system drives… I just hope that one day someone (Dell or MS) issues a fix.

5 Posts

May 18th, 2004 11:00

I'm speechless...

I've just downloaded the latest System Utilities (v.3.1.1a, A14, date 13/05/2004).

I was so hopeful... (quoting the DL description: "Notebook System Software is critical for the correct operation of USB devices, including the Dell D/Bay, D/Dock, D/Port, and D/View.")

I've plugged my pen drive... I was so thrilled... And.... Guess what...?

BSOD!!!!! Again!!!

No Events found!