Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2017 08:00

NVMe speed very slow on a XPS 9365

Hello,

i recently received my new XPS13 9365 and figured out that the writing speed is terible slow.

Please have a look at the figure shown belwo and let me knwo if you have also such issues or significant  speed drop on yxour devices?

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 12:00

Ha I just made a post about this, do you have increased thermals also?

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 12:00

I get almost the exact same speeds on my 9365. Lots of issues have been piling up on this laptop that are making it less and less appealing by the day...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 17:00

You folks are aware the specifications on the system show SATA at 6Gbps and PCIe at 8 Gbps.

It seems the x4 NVMe drive only uses one lane.  But that was stated in the specs....

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2017 10:00

Hi ALL,

i have done the speed test agian with CristalDiskMark and it seems to be better.

But anyway, the Notebook is dissapointing, as i switched from a Lenovo T-Series to Dell and it causes only problems. WIFI connection issues when re-started from Standby, Touch-Screen freezes when converting back from Tablet-Mode. I hope these all will get fixed by Driver updates but i am not sure Dell can handle this. Tried to download the WIN 10 Restore-Iso but without any success. For sure many other issues will pop-up during the next days when testing it more in detail.

Cheers

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2017 16:00

It does not look like my NVMe drive is configured as PCIe.  I will need to do some research but it is showing in the Disk Drives section of Device Manager.

I have an M.2 drive on an ASUS system and it shows up under Storage Controllers.  Maybe NVMe doesn't mean just M.2 drives

February 4th, 2017 09:00

M.2 = "PCI express communication protocol" and "physical connector"

NVMe = "PCI express communication protocol"

In a way, NVMe is a subset of M.2 (or more general, if that is a preferable perspective). You will not be able to purchase "NVMe hardware", as the physical interface is not defined.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 4th, 2017 10:00

All these terms do get confusing but for me, I agree M.2 is the form factor.  But PCIe is where the drive connects and NVMe is the controller on the drive.

The way Dell is using the M.2 slot on these small systems seems as they are using PCIe drives as SATA.  Normally M.2 SATA drives connect through a PCIe to SATA bridge.  My system shows the Toshiba PCIe NVMe drive is hanging on the SATA controller.  My ASUS system shows it on the NVMe controller and I never installed any drivers for it.

To be frank, I don't really care if it is not being run as a PCIe drive.  8 or 16 Gbps is still faster than drives we have used for years.  I will be testing to see if the drive will install without additional drivers loaded during the install.  If it doesn't work in that manner I will try loading the drivers to see what happens, just so I will know.  Every Bios update has the chance of including the necessary driver.  This 9365 just updated it Bios last night .. and still booting..

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 4th, 2017 10:00

M.2 isn't an electrical specification - it's a hardware form factor.

With the M.2 realm, drives can be SATA, PCIe or NVMe -- some M.2 connectors are SATA-only, while others will support only PCIe/NVMe -- and still others will support SATA or PCIe/NVMe.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 4th, 2017 12:00

The base models of these come with 128G Sandisk SATA M.2 drives.  The larger capacity ones are indeed NVMe.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 13th, 2017 08:00

My original observation that my 9365 was not set up to use PCIe was correct.  Since then I have installed a Samsung 960 Pro and done a clean install using the NVMe controller for the drive.  The attachments do not use your Benchmarking utility but do show relative speeds between the 9365 and an ASUS X99 Homebuilt using the same M.2 drive.  Maybe you can relate the numbers to yours.

No Events found!