Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

February 6th, 2009 16:00

Need Advice About Flashing BIOS

I am planning to flash the BIOS of my XPS M1730 from version A03 to version A10. However, I am not sure if it is okay/safe to skip versions A06 and A09. Also, is A10 any better than A09 or A06? Please, I REALLY need somebody's advice on this matter.

Reasons for BIOS upgrade:

• Upgrading to two Momentus 250GB hard drives and run them under RAID 0.
  • Planning to try dual-booting (Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and 64-bit)--I need help on this one as well, but let's just focus on the matter at hand.
  • Upgrading to 4GB of RAM.
  • Upgrading to X9000 (someday).
  • Upgrading to a graphics card beyond 8800M GTX (I am hopeful).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!:emotion-1:

107 Posts

February 7th, 2009 07:00

Yes it is ok, like I said the bios is completely erased , not appended to. I get Dell Lats in from telecommuters that the bios is at A01 or A02 and I flash them to A12 or whatever. It takes abot three minutes.

save all your work

go to dells websie

select your notebook

go to drivers

download bios ( check the run box on download)

the notebook will shurdown and on reboot bios will install

you have to have a good battery or it will not run the update

107 Posts

February 6th, 2009 19:00

You can skip versions of bios upgrades, when you flash it does not append to what is already there in the bios...the program flushes out the old and writes the new. Once was a time when you only flashed your bios when the description of the new bios had a patch or an option to add. Now it is ok to flash with the latest version @ a whim. Wher I work we have 1000's of Dell Lat D6xx and D8xx that we ( DESKTOP SUPPORT) flash w/ the latest ver bios when ever we get our hands on a clients notebook,,,usually durring reimaging. Dell bioses are very stable.

You will need a good battery...if your battery is bad, even if on AC the bios will not run...or at least on the Latitudes it is that way.

February 6th, 2009 21:00

So it's okay to flash revision A10 directly, skipping revisions A06 and A09? Also, how long does this flashing process take?

Thanks for your feedback!:emotion-1:

No Events found!