Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

W

1 Message

February 5th, 2004 07:00

Need help conecting laptop to cellphone?

Hi,

I have an insperiron 5100 laptoop and was wondering how I conect it to get on the internet via a cell phone? I know it envolves a PCMCIA card or something. I have asked a lot of people this question and they tell me I need centrino or bluetooth technologies. But that is only used for places like coffiehouses. I am on the raod a lot and keep in contact with my family through my cell phone. I would like to be able to check my e-mail and chat with them using a cell phone to connect to the internet.  I do NOT need a "house" wireless system because I have no LAN (Land) line at my house ( I am gone 8 mo out of the year)

Does anyone know how to do this?

What is the proper names for this tech?

Also what cell phone company is best for this type of use?

Thanks

wadecgeorge@hotmail.com

18 Posts

February 5th, 2004 14:00

Hi Wade,
There are actually several options, many of which depend on the type of cell phone and connections on your laptop.

1. You can get a connector (usually supercheap on eBay) that connects from your phone to the serial port of the laptop. Then, a) configure a modem and b) a network connection with that modem on your laptop. Dial your access number and you're in. If you're using Verizon, they have a free access number, and you don't need an ISP. The connection is 14.4, but adequate for email and light, image-free, browsing. There's a lot of resources to help you with the details on Verizon's website and Google searches (in groups).
2. You can do the same as 1) above using a connector that goes from the phone to the USB port on the laptop. This configuration is harder, since you have to redirect the com port to the USB.
3. You can buy the connector in 2) above WITH the software that the phone company provides and connect at higher speeds using a pure data connection. Again, for Verizon, it's pretty straightforward. You can get the software and connector on eBay for $20. Install the software and connect at 40-60 which is like a 56 modem line. Verizon offers a few "National Access(NA)" plans, but if you call customer service, you can tell them to add NA to your existing Minutes of Use(MOU). That way, you pay nothing extra! (Although, connect time is added to your minutes used).
4. Get an air card (pcmcia) from eBay (unsupported) or from your carrier. Connect like 3) above, but without your phone. You will have to pay for a plan on this solution.

Lastly, I recommend going to Verizon. They're scheduled to go wireless broadband this summer '04. With this, you'll get 2Mbit speeds, which is faster than some cable modems. If you do 4) above, than be careful of the card you buy, since some cards are not compatible in both formats.

21 Posts

February 6th, 2004 08:00

i have a samsung n-200 sprint pcs cell phone through sprint...i ordered the data cable through sprint...had to get a serial to usb adapter pigtail from usbgear.com...install sprints software,plug in cable to bottom of phone and usb to laptop....14.4k connect speed (modem speeds of a decade ago) and it works...slower than heck,though...my phone is considered a 2G phone and sprint supports that...the newest is 3G and sprint does not support it if you try to do the same thing with the newer phones,there's data cables and software out there that allow you to do some kind of internet connection...a co-worker is going to explore that option and i'm hoping for better results than 14.4 connect

21 Posts

February 7th, 2004 09:00

the experiment pretty much failed...friend got the future dial software and cable for his sanyo 5300 and could not connect to my netzero account on my laptop...the software seems to be buggy, it's version was 2.8.8 and there's an update to 3.0 on their website... his next step, will be to update to 3.0 and see...was able to transfer his address book over to the laptop, but that's the only thing that worked out of the internet dial up,image transfer and address book feature he tried..1 out of 3 features is not good

11.9K Posts

February 8th, 2004 10:00

@theung wrote:
Hi Wade,
There are actually several options, many of which depend on the type of cell phone and connections on your laptop.

1. You can get a connector (usually supercheap on eBay) that connects from your phone to the serial port of the laptop. Then, a) configure a modem and b) a network connection with that modem on your laptop. Dial your access number and you're in. If you're using Verizon, they have a free access number, and you don't need an ISP. The connection is 14.4, but adequate for email and light, image-free, browsing. There's a lot of resources to help you with the details on Verizon's website and Google searches (in groups).
2. You can do the same as 1) above using a connector that goes from the phone to the USB port on the laptop. This configuration is harder, since you have to redirect the com port to the USB.
3. You can buy the connector in 2) above WITH the software that the phone company provides and connect at higher speeds using a pure data connection. Again, for Verizon, it's pretty straightforward. You can get the software and connector on eBay for $20. Install the software and connect at 40-60 which is like a 56 modem line. Verizon offers a few "National Access(NA)" plans, but if you call customer service, you can tell them to add NA to your existing Minutes of Use(MOU). That way, you pay nothing extra! (Although, connect time is added to your minutes used).
4. Get an air card (pcmcia) from eBay (unsupported) or from your carrier. Connect like 3) above, but without your phone. You will have to pay for a plan on this solution.

Lastly, I recommend going to Verizon. They're scheduled to go wireless broadband this summer '04. With this, you'll get 2Mbit speeds, which is faster than some cable modems. If you do 4) above, than be careful of the card you buy, since some cards are not compatible in both formats.

Any experience synching the phone with Outlook?  Specifically, I want to be able to pick and choose which contacts to add to cell phonebook, or not having that option be able to make a subset in Outlook and add the whole subset.  Also want to be able to backup the cellphone setup to the PC.

21 Posts

February 8th, 2004 13:00

the data cable i got from sprint works with Future Dial's SnapSync software...i only tinkered with that for a little bit...will do more with it soon...it does provide interaction with outlook...i just haven't got that far yet...you can edit your phones address book via computer

18 Posts

February 9th, 2004 10:00

Rick,

Again, I'm not sure about the others, but Verizon has free Truesync software that you can download of the Internet to sync Outlook with your phone. There's also tons of other software that you can find in Google groups to download ringtones, wallpapers, etc.

11.9K Posts

February 9th, 2004 10:00

@theung wrote:
Rick,

Again, I'm not sure about the others, but Verizon has free Truesync software that you can download of the Internet to sync Outlook with your phone. There's also tons of other software that you can find in Google groups to download ringtones, wallpapers, etc.

Thanks.  I looked through VerizonWireless' site quite a bit and never found anything to download, even used their search.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether to buy their Mobile Office Software/cable package (via eBay of course), or just get a cable from Radio Shack, and then what software to use to be able to send phone listings to the phone and back, potentially add calendar appointments from Outlook to the phone, and then use the phone to dial in via VZW to connect my laptop to the internet.

18 Posts

February 9th, 2004 12:00

It's been sometime since I downloaded the software, and I see that you're right; the software is no where on their current website. I'll look around for it today if I get a chance and post it if I find it.

18 Posts

February 9th, 2004 17:00

Rick,

I found the site:
http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/software/motorola_ss_downloads.htm

As you can see, it's Motorola, not Verizon. It's been so long that I forgot where I got it. In any event, I don't see why this should not work for non-Motorola phones, but that experimentation is up to you.

Good luck!

11.9K Posts

February 9th, 2004 18:00

@theung wrote:
Rick,

I found the site:
http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/software/motorola_ss_downloads.htm

As you can see, it's Motorola, not Verizon. It's been so long that I forgot where I got it. In any event, I don't see why this should not work for non-Motorola phones, but that experimentation is up to you.

Good luck!

Thanks!  I took a peek at it and it says it's for upgrades, that it requires the previous version...

18 Posts

February 10th, 2004 00:00

No, it doesn't Rick. It tells you that " You must uninstall the previous version of TrueSync before installing the new version.". I specifically remember looking at that and I had no problem installing the software without the previous version.

11.9K Posts

February 10th, 2004 01:00

@theung wrote:
No, it doesn't Rick. It tells you that " You must uninstall the previous version of TrueSync before installing the new version.". I specifically remember looking at that and I had no problem installing the software without the previous version.

Ok.  That's not how I read it, but I'll give it a shot.  I think with this software and the cable you can get at Radio Shack I might be all set, we'll see.

11.9K Posts

February 18th, 2004 23:00

@theung wrote:
Hi Wade,

VZW has told me that the National Access will no longer be free, and that they will be seeing who is using it w/o paying for it and be penalizing these people.  The 14.4 connection is still free (minutes only), but the high speed will not be.

34 Posts

February 19th, 2004 14:00

"VZW has told me that the National Access will no longer be free, and that they will be seeing who is using it w/o paying for it and be penalizing these people.  The 14.4 connection is still free (minutes only), but the high speed will not be."

That is what they told me when I purchased the cable and software from them.  We could use our minutes at 14.4 or we could get their High Speed for about $80.00 a month. 

No Events found!