Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

HC

2 Intern

• 

147 Posts

November 12th, 2010 06:00

Netgear Push2TV/Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Issue

I have an XPS-17 (L701X) with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 Wi/Fi card.  I also have a Netgear Push2TV wireless display adapter that allows the laptop screen image to be shown on an HDTV.  This combination was recommended and sold by Dell. 

After failing to set up this combination yesterday, I was informed by Dell Tech Support that there is an incompatibility issue between these two functions that has been known by Dell, and that a resolution is being sought.  Is anyone on this forum aware of this issue?  If so, is there a workaround or patch that will enable me to use this function while waiting for Dell and/or Netgear to resolve the problem officially?

Thank you

14 Posts

December 7th, 2010 14:00

Lets try that again for the configuration they said would work:

OPERATING SYSTEM

PROCESSOR

VIDEO CARD

MEMORY

HARD DRIVE

WIRELESS CARDS

Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 8 threads, turbo boost up to 2.93GHz, 6M cache) NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 435M 2GB graphics with TV Tuner 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Hope this makes it through readable.

31 Posts

December 7th, 2010 15:00

I wonder why we aren't all be contacted to offer an opportunity to swap out a part (like the NVIDIA card or chipset) so we can make it work.  The Optimus power saver feature is key!

31 Posts

December 7th, 2010 15:00

Ben:  Your config as per your posting: 

WIRELESS CARDS :

Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 435M 2GB graphics with TV Tuner Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English

PROCESSOR :

Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 8 threads, turbo boost up to 2.93GHz, 6M cache)

Our systems are almost identical except for the wireless card and graphics card.  My wireless card is the Wimax and the graphics is the NVIDIA 445M GeoForce.

Can you tell me the date of your order?  My unit was ordered on 11-10-10 and received on 12-2-10.  I have not been contacted by Dell regarding this matter but the tech support staff still encourage me to ship back the unit and buy a new one, of course, for an extra $1000!  Nuts.

Thanks!  :emotion-5:

14 Posts

December 7th, 2010 16:00

Hi,

Don't get excited yet, I have not received my unit and this will certainly be one of the first tests I perform.  Well keep this thread advised if it does work.  My mother told me years ago not to count my chickens and I'm not doing it now.

I purchased on 11/27/10 and delivery is scheduled for 12/22/10. 

The Jury is out.  Lets see  if it is a go :emotion-1:  or nogo :emotion-12:

December 26th, 2010 00:00

I ordered an XPS L501X about a month ago and then when on a biz trip to Asia. My nightmare started from the very beginning. I have had the folloiwng problems:

1. The very first problem I had was it is not compatible with the Netgear push2TV unit I bought along with the laptop, as it was offered as one of the compatible accessories. I did not have a chance to talk to any Dell tech before my business trip;
  2. the 2nd problem I had during the trip was that I had excessive heat problem with the laptop, and with that the fan generated much noise.
  3. The 3rd problem I had was the radio turned off by itself after a few hours of operation, and I could not turn it back on without turning it off to let it cool down;
  4. The 4th problem was the frequent screen freeze, sometimes more than 5 times a day! It occurred during or after start up

I talked to Dell support 4 times during the trip, even tried to send the unit back and a refund. I was told that it passed the 21 day limit so the only option I have is to get a replacement.

I got my replacement on 12-23-2010. It seems that most of the problems (over heat, radio, screen freeze) have been fixed, except the wireless display incompatibility problem. What is not so funny is that during the setup the Dell Support Center installed in the unit would remind me of the update of the wireless display driver (R284809.exe). Needless to say when I tried to install the updated driver I got a warning that my laptop "is not compatible with the Intel Wireless Display..."

I plan to talk to Dell support after the holiday and keep everyone here posted.

Here are some of the key parts in my laptop configuration:

"XPS L501X

Intel Core i7-840QM 1.86GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M 2GB with TV tuner

Intel Centrino advanced -N WiMax 6250

Win 7 ultimate"

Happy New Year, everyone!

45 Posts

December 26th, 2010 06:00

The Intel i7-840QM processor can NOT support wireless display.  It is a QuadCore chip and does not have the room to also have a Graphics Processor Unit.  A GPU is required, along with a compatible video card and wireless card, for wireless display capability.  Sorry for the bad news of reality, but I learned this the hard way back in November.

39 Posts

December 26th, 2010 09:00

Sorry to say also...but what he said

the Intel Core i7-840QM 1.86GHz (or any i7 series above 7x) does not have onboard GPU required for WIDI or even for the Optimus to work. Dell jumped the gun (or at least the sales dept) with configuration. as of right now, only quick option is to return NetGEAR PTV1000, if needing immediate closure, because no quad core processor has GPU until Sandy Bridge release in early next year.

Rooster:emotion-11:

December 26th, 2010 12:00

Thank you guys for the clarification!

39 Posts

December 26th, 2010 12:00

no Problem...:emotion-21:

Rooster:emotion-11:

December 28th, 2010 10:00

Update:

Dell did agree with my request to return the PUSH2TV adapter for a refund after some negotiation. Still I wish it were compatible:emotion-6:

2 Posts

January 11th, 2011 02:00

What I don't understand is why Dell Support Centre kept listing the Wireless Display as a critical update when they know that i7 is incompatible with this upgrade?

Someone in Dell got his head screwed in the wrong direction?

So much for Dell Support Centre listing an update that cannot be implemented!

Wake up, will you?

1 Message

January 20th, 2011 14:00

Fxxx, I had the same problem as Hank. Dell did actually recomemded this configuration, and that's why I went for it and get this Netgear thing. Are they going to do something about it? Or that is the end of the story, we are just the unlucky bunch...? Or can we do something?

2 Posts

January 20th, 2011 17:00

for Ya, talking to Dell Support is like talking to a wall. They are not listening! The fact that the Dell Support website keeps listing this wireless display as a critical update for i7 speaks volumes for Dell's care for customers. Really sucks! Nothing much we can do save wlaking away from Dell forever.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2011 09:00

Has anyone tried to set this up lately?I tried to set this up this morning without any sucess.  

Wish I had read this thread before I purchased my XPS 702X laptop, it has the i7 -2820QM chipset, the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 mini wireless card and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus. Same Netgear Push2TV. They claim to have new Intel Wireless Display Software installed.

Shouldn't really surprise me that thigs did not work, when I first received the laptop I could not connect to the internet wirelessly. Three phone calls to iYogi tech support was a total waste of time. It never occurred to me this unit would be shipped  with 40 outdated drivers and it apparently never occurred to iYogi to check the drivers either, but I digress.

Has anything been done since Hanks post back in Nov 2010 to resolve i7 processor /NVIDIA grapgics card / Push2TV issues? I just about killed my monthly cell phone minutes talking to iYogi and don't relish going over talking to Dell.

14 Posts

June 25th, 2011 10:00

The i7 -2820QM is the right processor.  The first generation of the i7 does not have the intel HD graphics integrated on the processor chip.  The second generation does.  I have the 502x with i7-2720QM, Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus.  Push2TV works great with this configuration.

From what you have specified, you have the correct configuration, try downloading the latest driver from Dell.  If you have a configuraiton issue it will stop you from downloading or give you an error when you start the update.

No Events found!