Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2017 07:00

Never-Ending "Support" for Precision 7710

I have purchased Dell products for the last 25 years and – until this experience – was a big fan of both Dell products and Dell IT support.

In October of 2016, I purchased a Precision 7710 with the Advance E-Port Plus docking station. I already had two HD Ultrasharp Dell Monitors. Despite misgivings about Windows 10 I ordered the computer with the Windows 10 OS.

The computer had display issues, so that my HD monitors looked fuzzy and pixelated. (This was not related to any particular app, as even the desktop icons looked bad.)

After several calls to Pro Support, I was told to return the computer for a refund and purchase the same computer again, which I did. (I was hesitant, because the computer is very expensive, and I had already experienced a high level of confusing around the order - for example, I never received an invoice, and the computer arrived with no paperwork - no invoice, packing slip - nothing. As a small business owner, that we very worrisome.)

Right after receiving the new computer, I had major surgery, and did not use the docking station for several weeks, because I could not sit at a desk. (This was my one major mistake, because it meant that I missed the deadline for a straight return.) When I finally did attempt to use my external monitors, the computer had the same problem. There were other, seemingly associated problems, such as the fact that the NVIDIA control panel and the Intel control panel could not detect more than one monitor. There were also strange display issues, such as the screen flickering black, and sometimes blank white rectangles appeared on screen.)

Anyway, I called support again, only to find out that the salesman hadn't included Pro Support with my order. It took about a week to sort that out. 

Since then, I have had endless communication with support. I have tried everything, and they have tried everything - including sending a technician to replace the graphic card and motherboard. They even sent me a new SSD that I had to install myself. While the monitors look alright, the graphics control panels still do not detect the two monitors, and I still have weird flickering.

When support sent the new SSD, the IT guy configured it especially for me - only he used a computer with a different graphics card.

Finally, they decided to send me a replacement system (everything) so I could mail my old system back and they could diagnose it. However, the new system is worse than the old one, as all of the original problems exist (fuzzy HD monitors). I do not want to send them the old system, which – after many long hours working to fix it – is performing better than the new system (although some issues persist). I'm waiting to hear back on this.

There is a LOT more to this story – details about how the Dell website doesn't work, salespeople who tried to sell me the wrong docking station, support people with accents too thick to understand, driver updates, OS re-installations, BIOS changes, cables, registry changes, software repairs, and much more – details too minute and tedious to share here. I think I have about 120 emails from Dell in my inbox, and that doesn't cover the vast amount of time on the phone. It would take me a full workday to write a coherent, chronological summary of events. Worse, it would be absolutely dreadful to read – nearly as dreadful as it has been to experience all of it.

I have spent probably twice what the computer is worth in lost time, emails, and phone calls with Dell. Even weirder is the fact that Dell has almost certainly lost money on this endless process, which it continues to prolong.

This has become so absurd – eight months of me trying to pay them good money to provide me with a reliable system, to no avail, and both of us dumping more and more time into a seemingly futile effort.

I'm considering small claims court, or perhaps even a letter directly to the CEO – both of which are desperate moves unlikely to yield results – but what else is there? I can't really afford to throw a few thousand dollars in the trash. At this point, however, I may need to make the sacrifice just for the sake of my personal well-being. Eight months of this has led to nearly constant anxiety. (My work is very high-stakes, I regularly work about 80 hours a week, and I am very dependent on my computer for meeting tight deadlines.)

At this point, I'd like to just try another computer model entirely (or return the computer and get a refund). A refund is against policy, I'm sure. I don't know about exchanging it for a different model. (I'm waiting to hear back on this.) I could just use it as it is, but that seems incredibly unfair, given the high price that I paid. 

Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to successfully push through to an actual resolution that resulted in a working, reliable system? Any clever ideas for breaking through this endless mire?

9 Posts

May 21st, 2017 03:00

The saga continues. Unsurprisingly, IT "support" started over completely when I returned the new system so Engineering could test it. That is, they asked all the initial questions again, and expressed confusion as to what the issue is (despite the fact that it's been well-documented for months), and, finally, after verifying again that the issue exists, sent the system to Engineering.

Is it actually official Dell policy to waste thousands of dollars (both mine and theirs) by drawing out such issues interminably? I have now been dealing with this issue for almost a year.

I will be filing a complaint with the BBB. I purchased an extended warranty, and Dell should find a way to resolve this issue once a for all. This is absolutely ludicrous. I will NEVER recommend that anyone purchase from Dell ever again.

9 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 10:00

Dell just admitted the problem is likely related to coding in the Dell-provided driver software, and said it could take "months" to fix.

I want my money back, or I want Dell to send me a computer that works.

Is this fraud? To charge someone almost $3,000 for a computer that doesn't work properly, force them to participate in user-testing and quality-assurance activities without compensation, and delay resolution for months seems like fraud to me.

9 Posts

July 15th, 2017 05:00

After filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, I was finally issued a refund.

By the way, consumers beware! Windows 10 has display issues that persist from one laptop model to another.

In my quest to find a working system, I have verified the same issues on several models (listed below). If you have doubts, simply go down to your nearest Best Buy and ask them to plug any laptop into any external monitor, and the issue is immediately evident. It is easiest to see by looking at the Windows icon in the lower left corner, which will appear to have visible pixels/lines, regardless of the resolution of the monitor. It is also visible if you open a text document (in Notepad or Word, for example) and type a few lines of text.

(It is important to note that these issues may not be restricted to appearance. For me, there were other problems as well – problems that prevented me from being able to work, such as distorted cursors, flickering windows, lag times, color problems, phantom menus, and more.)

Verified on:

• Inspiron

• Precision 7710

• Precision 7710

• Precision 7710

• HP Spectre

• Razer

• MSI

with

• 3 Dell monitors

• HP monitor

• Asus monitor