Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

38 Posts

December 1st, 2005 14:00

New D620 Launch?

Hey folks,

I just wanted to ask if anyone had any information on the possibility of a update to the current D610 in the near future? The reason is we are looking to replace our current C640 laptops which are coming round to 3 years now with new ones and I wondering if its worth hanging back for a possible D620, or just buy a bunch of 610's? Does anyone have any information on when the D620 will become available, possible spec?

Any info would be of great help, I currently trying to contact our Dell Account Manager, but just thought i'd post here also...

thanks!

Alan

59 Posts

January 27th, 2006 05:00

The backlit keyboard will be optional as I understand. This will be "extremely" useful for me. Have you ever tried writing something on your laptop in complete,or close to complete, darkness? Like in bed or in an aeroplane? It makes your eyes bleed after ten seconds...

49 Posts

January 27th, 2006 11:00

Why didn't they copy the Thinkpad "thinklight" idea.  Just put a small light in the LCD lid that can be turned on with an "FN" key combination and it lights up the whole keyboard without draining your power down.  Makes typing in complete darkness a snap. 

I agree on the "business" aspect.  Improvments in the trackpoint would be infinitely more useful than a backlit keyboard.  How many times do you use a laptop in near darkness?

29 Posts

January 27th, 2006 20:00

First of all, putting the computer on your stomach in the bed is just asking for a flaming torso. thats why they say portable system and not laptop. secondly, if your at all proficient at typing you dont need to look at the keyboard. chances are if your looking at the keyboard on your laptop while your in an airplane they pay you way too much money. and i agree fully on some new touchpad innovations. if they honestly just angled the top of the touchpad down a bit into the plastics of the case it wouldnt pick up my palm moving against it. too bad the R and D department has its thumb lodged firmly inside its [bad words] changing the colors of the plastics and adding useless buttons to the front of my latitude. and god said let it be stylish and simple. i dont want to use a powerbook, but its slowly looking like a decent alternative to the latitude which is slipping farther and farther away from my demographic. it doesnt have any of the b.s., just a straight up notebook. if the D620 makes use of Intels Robson Technology then its going to kill apples lineup. if you dont know what Robson NAND Flash memory is, google it.

49 Posts

January 28th, 2006 16:00

Anybody heard any release dates?  I've heard everything from early February to sometime in March.  Wouldn't be nice if Dell would just tell you what the "info" release date will be so we can stop checking these d*m forums for new info?

1 Message

January 28th, 2006 18:00

Our company was originally going to get D610's but with the upcoming release of the D620, we are delaying our deployment of the new laptops until July. We were told the D620's were going to be released in April.

If we didn't delay our deployment, then through the 3 year life cycle of our laptops, we would have 3 models in circulation. By waiting for the D620, we will only have 2 models to support over the next 3 years.

1 Rookie

• 

425 Posts

January 31st, 2006 17:00

Would you like fries with that order sir?

29 Posts

January 31st, 2006 17:00

hey, i am very excited about the upcomming D620, and i WANT a backlit keyboard. every cellular has that... why not with a laptop?

I do work in bad lighting conditions pretty often, and yes, you do need to look at the keyboard, at least some times.

i actually don't care about auto-light adjustment. better they build LED lighting that can be dimmed from near darkness to VERY bright. i would like it to shut of completeley at the lowes level. (like an off key)

and one thing about keyboards: the Keyboard Layout on DELL laptops is the best i have ever seen!

a 'silent' mode would be very nice as well....
reducing weight and making it slim, should be very important as well

ok, just dreaming

(right now i am happy with my D600)

Does anybody know wheater Dell is planing on convertibles?

Thanks,
Aron

29 Posts

January 31st, 2006 18:00

sure. and some ketchup with it... ;-)

38 Posts

February 1st, 2006 09:00

Just got an email through from Dell regarding a webcast they are doing for their 'Next Generation Latitude Notebooks'. This is taking place on march 14th, so it gives some indication of when they may be available, (i.e. after that date?) (this is for the UK)

1 Rookie

• 

425 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 02:00

Let's hope they have no major problems with this model like they have with the D610, they could send one to me for testing and I'm sure I'd find issues (if any) within a few days

49 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 13:00

Ditto... I'd really put it through it's paces and test it with my new Dell 24" wide LCD.  What a beauty!

1 Rookie

• 

425 Posts

February 7th, 2006 22:00

Nothing yet, I'll give them until the end of Feb before I go somewhere else

29 Posts

February 7th, 2006 22:00

Hi,

are there any new news around? anything? release dates? features?

i am deciding to switch company or to wait.... well, waiting is horrible

49 Posts

February 7th, 2006 23:00

Too late for me... decided to go to the ACER 8204.  I figure for the money, Dell won't be able to match the specs.  Ordered today from www.costcentral.com.  Should be delivered tomorrow.

59 Posts

February 9th, 2006 20:00

To start with, there are no resellers for Dell computers...

Second, I don't think Dell would ship a system withut a drivers CD. Besides, the drivers are on the FTP, they just haven't put the drivers up offcially because the laptop is not out yet (to the public).

I know our sales person is coming on February 27th to demo the new laptops.

Comparing a D610 and a D620 is like day and night. As I said before, the D610 is plastic and the keyboard is worst I've ever seen on a laptop. D620 is much nicer and robust, and has a great keyboard! But let's wait and see if Dell changed anything on the model since November :)
No Events found!