Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2011 17:00

New Dell XPS 14z (L412Z) Wireless Card Issues

Hi all,

I've waited and purchase the XPS 14z as soon as it came out. To my disappointment I have struggled with wireless connectivity since. I found comments about a similar problem with the XPS 15z. but not much about the 14z (beside a couple of post in the Review section of the Dell website).

From the same location, my four+ year old XPS M1210 has consistently 3 bars of better signal than the 14z. The same happens at work beside my Vostro 1720.

Furthermore the 14z connection is unstable and drop off randomly, effectively making it impossible to use for internet unless I sit close to my router (which is not in by my home desk).

Dell sent out techinicians twice. The first time to replace the wifi card, the second time to replace the wifi (again a 6230) and the antenna (which involves taking the all system apart and replace the screen at the same time).

Now Dell is going to replace the system with a new one, but by the sound of things, it's going to be just the same.

Is there any official source where Dell aknowlodges that there is a problem with their choice of hardware/software configuration; and that they are going to do something about it?

Are there known solutions out there already?

Regards to all

January 16th, 2013 04:00

Same issue here dude !! The Intel N-6230 Is the Culprit ! :(

Did Dell Replaced the card or You Yourself ? Please tell as I am also facing the problem .

2 Posts

I had them replace motherboard and wireless cards. Nothing worked until they sent it to their lab in Texas. It may be the antenna built into the screen. Recommend you ask it be sent to their lab.

8 Posts

January 16th, 2013 05:00

It went to the Dell "depot" but I don't know where that is. How do you get something sent to the Lab?

They did the replacement and also did something with software because they had to wipe my hard drive.

This is its 3rd or 4th trip away,- first it came with no track pad driver so it seemed like a hardware problem, then the hard drive failed, then the sequence of attempts to fix the wireless.  One of which (the change power option for wireless) caused it to run so hot I was afraid it was going to start soemthing on fire.  Each repair trips means cleaning all the files off the drive, a 150 miles frive to dtop it off, arrange for a loaner, work with all the wrong software, no printer drivers and no files. I have never before had a computer that just didn't work when you turned it on.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2013 07:00

Hi everybody,

Me too I had exactly the same problem with the wifi. After several calls and mails, they finally changed the wifi card and the antenna (before this it was compulsory to reformat my laptop).

Obviously, the replacement didn't change anything and now my warranty is over. So I contact several times the technician by mail to have some explanations (at least!) : always the same answer " call the technical support ".

It's weird that with all this cases the technical support still don't know how to fix this problem!

I also feel scammed because get a bad wifi connection for laptop which cost about 1000 € is not normal at all.

February 5th, 2013 13:00

I had a similar issue. I had a solid connection at home, at my primary workplace, and at my folks' place, but would lose the connection after a couple of web pages at my secondary workplace. I went to the Advanced tab for the network card and disabled 802.11n and changed the 802.11 frequency from 20 to auto. Now it works everywhere.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2013 05:00

I tried your solution, and unfortunately it's not working in my case!

11 Posts

February 24th, 2013 09:00

I posted in the wrong discussion as i had way to many windows open! Here is my post in the 15Z discussion that belongs here.

en.community.dell.com/.../20307497.aspx

8 Posts

February 24th, 2013 12:00

Wow! Sure confirms my experiences. Do you think I should get rabbit ears and tin foil for mine? How do we get Dell to get us decent antennae? I am starting to hate this computer.

11 Posts

February 24th, 2013 13:00

Lol! Too funny! I plan on making some calls this week But unfortunately in situations like this it is very hard To find resolution and that's sad. Even though I Have mine fixed I would like Dell to provide one as I realize you have to have a skill set like mine And not everyone is capable and they shouldn't have to be. A quick fix would be a Nano N USB dongle. They are very tiny. But that chews up a USB port and as we know this laptop only has Two. Furthermore, I have taken apart and fixed 100's Of laptops and the screen area on the 14z is not for the novice. I just can't believe this has not been resolved yet. I will post back Here after I talk to them and let ya know. I am assuming A LOT of people Are suffering from this so maybe a class action is the only way to go.

27 Posts

February 24th, 2013 21:00

As a workaround, i have disabled my Bluetooth driver and my WiFi is working perfect and i am getting constant signal.

whenever i am enabling the Bluetooth, my WiFi signal is fluctuating. 

I know this is not the proper fix for this issue, but it is working fine.  I promise, this is my last and final Dell laptop ...

11 Posts

February 27th, 2013 08:00

so does anyone know why my posts got deleted?

March 16th, 2013 02:00

To all who are having this problem .

One Solution

"Right click in my computer and select manage ,

then go to device manager ,

( keep the wif+bt on ),

go to "Bluetooth radio" then disable the "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 3.0 + High Speed Adapter"

and then connect to the wifi . the problem will be solved ..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2013 02:00

Hello,

I am very frustrated with my 14z, have anyone really fixed error yet. Also if you are from Baltic - note dell service is very poor, or i could say - there is no service at all. Also tech bloke from Dell support peaks only Russian and very poorly english. As i have bought computer in Latvia i asked to have a technical support in Latvian. I left my contact details, but no one have contacted me.

I will never ever buy DELL and to all I suggest the same, it seems DELL doesn't care about this problem at all.

When I contacted local Official Warranty center for DELL, and informed about the problem - they knew nothing about it, and offered to change the wirelesses card if i pay all the costs.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2013 04:00

I have tried it severeal times, but when i get more then 10 meters away form router, network is diconnecting again.

No Events found!