Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 22nd, 2015 15:00

New Dell XPS 15, immediate upgrade to Win 10, Internal Mic, Very low volume in Skype

A similar story to a few other posts. Very low volume outgoing using the internal Mic in a Skype call.

- Brand new XPS15 9530
- Immediate upgrade to Win 10
- Windows update and Dell updates applied and up to date
- Audio drivers show Realtek HD Audio, 6.0.1.7544
- Skype 7.10.0.101 up to date.

Skype microphone showing very low volume even with all settings to max (+30db, 100%). Calls to Test Call return nothing or very quiet voice. Control panel, Sounds, Recording shows almost no movement in the display unless you shout or tap the Mic area above the screen. Playing with all the various enhancement options both in Control panel, Sounds, Recording and Dell Audio don't seem to have any effect. However I think I've seen "Listen to this device" and Voice Recorder work fine. 

A possible temporary fix is to go to Control Panel, Device manager, Sound Video and Games controllers, Update Driver, Browse, Pick and choose the generic High Definition Audio Device. This is not really a long term solution but does seem to work correctly.

I'm not certain yet whether the problem is Dell hardware, Windows 10, Skype or the Realtek drivers. But more or less out of the box the combination seems to be currently broken and unusable. Please investigate and find a fix. It should not be hard to duplicate the problem.

3 Posts

September 28th, 2015 14:00

I have the same problem. Please fix this Dell!

Thanks for the temporary fix!

3 Posts

September 28th, 2015 14:00

I have the same problem with the same specs. Please fix this Dell!

Thanks for the temporary fix!

21 Posts

October 1st, 2015 11:00

Bump.

Not sure what else I can offer, but the problem is still there. Microsoft are just pushing me to install the latest drivers from Dell, but I've already done that. I suspect that the real problem here is Realtek, but I'm Dell's customer, not their's.

So please, Dell, Pay attention and get it fixed.

October 2nd, 2015 08:00

I am reporting similar problem with Dell Inspiron 7737. Audio volume on line in mic extremely low.

21 Posts

October 7th, 2015 03:00

Bump. How do we get in touch with Realtek and get the drivers fixed?

21 Posts

October 10th, 2015 06:00

Just updated to the latest drivers on the Dell site. 6.0.1.7610 released Oct 5. No change. Mic volume is still unusably low. Especially in Skype.

21 Posts

October 27th, 2015 11:00

Bump.

No new drivers. No fix. What's happening?

1 Message

November 8th, 2015 15:00

Hi there,

Suffering same problem with Realtek audio driver on Windows 10, i reinstalled initial driver from Factory installed Windows 8.1.

No problems with microphone, so now enough volume for skype. But sound quality, especially for music, is not good as with newer driver. But it usable. So I can share this driver if somebody needs.

It is driver version : 6.0.1.7035

Regards,

21 Posts

November 9th, 2015 01:00

Dell says this for the XPS15. 
"Windows 10 upgrade available
Dell has tested this product to confirm that it can upgrade to Windows 10."

But it plainly isn't Windows 10 ready if the sound driver doesn't work with Windows 10. Come on Dell. Sort it out. 

21 Posts

November 11th, 2015 23:00

I've got the driver set to HD Audio Device. This month's windows update re-installed a Realtek driver. The release number on this is 6.0.1.7628 05/10/2015. Which is later than the one currently on the Dell drivers page (7610) so there seems to have been a silent release. Sadly there is no change though and volume is still low so I've reverted to the generic driver.

21 Posts

December 21st, 2015 10:00

Place a support request. Get no response so place another referring to the first. Get an email that says phone Tech support. Phone them to be told, well, not much really. Apparently they're all still working on windows 10 drivers. Hopefully the message is starting to get through that the Realtek drivers don't work properly under Win 10.

1 Message

December 30th, 2015 13:00

I also have this problem, it's still not fixed. The solution to install driver 6.0.1.7035 works, but after another windows update this solution also stopped working, I could not fix it. I hoped that paying double than most laptops would keep me away from problems, but it's not the case... I cannot even use Skype ((  If Dell doesn't solve it soon, I don't think I'll buy their products again...

21 Posts

December 31st, 2015 04:00

I'm unable to see or hear any difference between 6.0.1.7035, the current win8.1 driver from the Dell site, 6.0.1.7054 or the latest win10 driver I can find on the Dell site, 6.0.1.7628. In all cases, with the levels turned up to maximum, the display of volume on the recording page barely moves even if you tap the case. Setting the recording devivce to listen and listening on headphones there's clearly low volume with lots of background noise. Changing the device driver to the generic MS HD Audio driver produces a dramatic difference. The setup display now reacts to background noises such as a shuffling chair. It maxes out if you tap the case. And listening through headphones is MUCH louder.

I don't believe ANY of the Realtek drivers work properly with Win10. The ONLY work around I've found is the MS HD Audio driver.

Still waiting for Realtek and Dell to recognise the problem and do something about it.

1 Message

February 1st, 2016 13:00

Dell - you need to fix this.  I use my laptop for business purposes where we often conduct huddles through Skype.  I can't participate in those because of this issue.  Changing to the generic driver isn't really an option due to the poor sound quality.

The fact that this has been reported so long ago and still outstanding is really poor on Dell's part.

21 Posts

February 12th, 2016 01:00

Another couple of months go by.

The latest driver is still 6.0.1.7610 5-Oct-2015.

Still no fix.

No Events found!