Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2011 05:00

New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

Hello All! I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15z with the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. The new Laptop is a true wonder and the best by far on the 15" market, especially with the nVidia GeForce GT 525M 2G.

The problem i am having is with wireless. When connected to the router there are no issues what so ever with speed when browsing the Internet or playing World of Warcraft, however, unplug and fall into the dread of slow latency and unforgiving torture.

Has anyone found a resolution. I do understand that when you are plugged in it is much better reception, however, being no dummy I still have my old laptop and my wife's which are HP and have no issues what so ever with wireless.

34 Posts

June 25th, 2011 13:00

All you have to do is go out and purchase a USB Wireless Modem and Install it. Problem solved. Make sure you turn off the one that came with your new dell. You also have to burn one of your only two USB plugs.

29 Posts

June 25th, 2011 18:00

I am sorry to say that is not a solution but a band-aid. You purchase a product and expect it to work. I have the same wireless card in a 15z laptop and have no wireless problems....so I expect its router problems that appear to be quite widespread. Lets hope Dell/Intel can come up with a software solution very soon!

June 25th, 2011 23:00

Oh I forgot to mention its not anyones router it is the wireless card on the motherboard!

June 25th, 2011 23:00

Same deal, purchased on 16th, no wireless internet right out of the box. Very dissapointed in this, I paid 1500 dollars. Techinical support has no solution, I spent an hour on the phone and was told I might try waiting for a new bios or they could send a tech to replace my motherboard! Being returned Monday for refund of my money. It's a shame because its a really beautiful computer but to be cheap on the wireless card??? Not cool Dell, I am considering an HP now. For the guy that suggested a USB modem thats pretty lame.

2 Posts

June 26th, 2011 02:00

An update to the most recent Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 ProSet drivers seems to have done the trick for me. Now have fast and stable connection on battery using drivers directly from the Intel Download Center. Drivers dated 6/6/2011

25 Posts

June 26th, 2011 07:00

I just hang up the phone with DELL

On tuesday they will send a technician to replace the card, let's see how that goes. Maybe we don't all have the same issue on this thread because I also tried the latest drivers from Intel found here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx

as stated by cbowers but it didn't help at all, I suspect we are all experiencing a combination of hardware / software issues

What's clear is that DELL MESSED UP, really shame.

I would invite everyone who has issues with wireless to report here at least DELL can become aware of the issue and hopefully take action, maybe replace with a better card.

I hope this helps everyone

34 Posts

June 26th, 2011 08:00

Listen this is the best 15" monitor you that money out there. Give some credit to dell its not their flat its Intel's. Also they will fix it when they figure it out. I started this thread and I'm trying to offer suggestions, not to lambast the mfr like you.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2011 12:00

SHORT STORY- Try this link to load latest Intel N6230 driver, it made a marked improvement. Thnx to "CBOWERS". Pls Note the INTEL Wizard incorrectly identifies the 14.0.1 as the latest driver, which it is not.

Install states Driver Rev 14.0.1.1 (which is also not right either, 14.1.1.3 actual in this package)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20116&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=%0ASoftware%20Applications%0A   

LONG STORY -

I like Dell, it's not really the Dell OEM failure because Intel has dropped a driver fiasco into their lap. The WiFi N6230 connect has the potential of being a true debacle, and Dell shipped S/W image should be updated to the following immediately, and a clear resolution identified and published. Intel's driver S/W downloads HTML website has a couple errors, just to add more confusion to an already fubar scenario. However, Terry (Dell) - though your aim is true, before pointing at routers, you should replicate the problem and verify the solution, rather than sending end users down an incorrect time-waster path. Issue has been identified with multiple 15Z machines on multiple routers, it's not the router here.

NOTE: Intel install wizard does not identify the latest driver correctly (bozos).

Before update, very slow, unstable connects w/ driver 14.0.1 on N6230.

Tested multiple routers & WiFi locations.

After14.1.1.3 update -

Speedtest.net & Intel Adapter reported 802.11 speeds to Linksys WRT54g Rev6 router;

XPS 15Z Win7 N6230 : 2.19Mbps/0.43Mbps (802.11 48Mbps connect), Versus,

E4300 XP 5100AGN : 2.1 Mbps/0.43Mbps (54Mbps connect)

After install of package below, driver reads 14.1.1.3 of 5/2011

(right click - computer, props, device mngr)

Two options, I installed / tested full 44mb package, Driver with ProSet S/W:

DRIVER ONLY : ICS_Ds64.zip - this is a compressed package which includes all files required to install the wireless adpter drivers only. The ZIP package allows you to extract the drivers for installation on multiple systems.

DRIVER AND S/W : ICS_s64.zip - this is a compressed package which includes all files required to install the wireless adapter drivers and PROSet/Wireless Software on a Windows 7 64-Bit system. The ZIP package allows you to extract the drivers and software for installation on multiple systems.

Advanced-N 6230 intel download, root support HTML link.

INTEL  WIZARD - BLAH hah!

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless

Product Detected

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230

Best of luck all -

wavezz2k

( LMGuadagna, rhymes with Lasagna, Spa boy & part time IT support)

Current Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Installed 14.0.1.0 Your driver is current.

(Above, from install wizard, which is not right. Rev 14.1.1.3 is latest)

So, Dell's site is not the latest driver. Intel's site tells you that your driver is the latest, and it's not. Intel's site also states the latest install ZIP contains a different Revision package than what's actually in the ZIP file.

Router type, and plugged in or not (even if it's your "ear") won't make a lick of difference. Recommend you try the new install Rev 14.1.1.3, it could help.

29 Posts

June 26th, 2011 13:00

wavezz2k Nice find...lets see how long before this driver appears in the Dell downloads. I also have downloaded the full package from the Intel website and can verify it works quite well with a Linksys  and Netgear router.

Now if someone can find a fix for the screen saver/power issues!

25 Posts

June 26th, 2011 14:00

I can confirm that this download gets the card working again:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx*&DownloadType=%0ASoftware%20Applications%0A

Make sure you read wavezz2k instructions above as I had also installed the driver before but for some reason it was not updated properly.

As a note it works well but there is definitely room for improvement

Thank you wavezz2k for the info, let's hope DELL and Intel work together to get card working properly

34 Posts

June 27th, 2011 07:00

I am at work and I have 3 wireless routers I can connect to. One has no problem. It connects and stays connected. The other two although I can see them and have good reception (4-5 green bars) i try to connect but it goes back to the first that has no problems. Before I could not connect to any. This is funny because this one is the farthest away from me (physically).

I can say that on the connected one i can only see speed of  13 - 30 Mbps. I still have my old laptop and see 50+ numbers and no problems connecting to any of the routers.

I don't know if I have to reset something or delete something, kind of busy today and need to get some work done. I will try this at home tonight to see how it works there and advise findings.

34 Posts

June 27th, 2011 16:00

I can confirm that this download did not fix the problem at Home. I have a Motorola Broadband Router with Bright House Networks. When I plug in the wireless adapter into my USB, works fine. Infact this was how I was able to connect to write this post.

In addition with my prevoius post that as the day wore on so did the wireless to a point where I just turned it off and pugged in my ethernet cable.

I have a service tech coming out to replace the card I am intrested to see if this helps any.

25 Posts

June 27th, 2011 16:00

Thank you for the update.

I have not yet been able to test it with other routers but i can say it works fine but not great, all my other laptops and even mobile phones consistently perform better than the 15z.

I hope Dell can work with intel to deliver decent drivers.

8 Posts

June 27th, 2011 19:00

Hello guys,

I had the same issue with my XPS15Z.. I got mine at the beginning of the month, I called Dell and one of their techs changed the power performance to the maximum.. and he also changed something on the wireless card from the Computer - Manage and I never had the issue again..  

5 Posts

June 28th, 2011 01:00

My XPS15Z arrived today in Perth Australia.

Cannot belive I also have this issue. I get about 2 bars and it keeps dropping out.

I have read all of the threads and am not clear whether it is worth updating the driver or not.

What is DELL recommending?

No Events found!