Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2011 05:00

New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

Hello All! I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15z with the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. The new Laptop is a true wonder and the best by far on the 15" market, especially with the nVidia GeForce GT 525M 2G.

The problem i am having is with wireless. When connected to the router there are no issues what so ever with speed when browsing the Internet or playing World of Warcraft, however, unplug and fall into the dread of slow latency and unforgiving torture.

Has anyone found a resolution. I do understand that when you are plugged in it is much better reception, however, being no dummy I still have my old laptop and my wife's which are HP and have no issues what so ever with wireless.

34 Posts

August 9th, 2011 07:00

They cannot replace the card, I already asked. It must be a specific card they can use. I am happy to hear that the XPS 15 is working fine with that card in issue. How is the Fan in the XPS 15 they say it is very noisey?

August 9th, 2011 08:00

XPS 15 works great, no fan issue on the i5 chip set. I am sure its the attenna on the XPS15Z.

1 Message

August 9th, 2011 08:00

I have had the same problem with the Intel 6230 but mine was intermittent and caused the bluetooth function to disappear.  After trying every 'fix' I could find I opened the bottom of my Dell XPS to check the Intel 6230 card.  The two antenna leads connected to the board were reversed and neither wire had the insulators, used to cover the metal connectors, installed correctly and one lead was touching the metal case of the chip. Fixed my problem and it works great now! 

4 Posts

August 9th, 2011 13:00

Have Dell replace the 62 with N1030.  It took care of everything.

8 Posts

August 9th, 2011 14:00

I was told by tech support twice that they would not replace the 6230 with any other wireless card in the 15z.  How did you get a N1030 installed?

34 Posts

August 9th, 2011 15:00

I was told the same by terry how did you get that!!!!!

4 Posts

August 9th, 2011 16:00

Hi, I had to escalate the problem.  Any half combo card will work.

Demand they replace yours.  Dell was here today and it takes care of the no connection after sleeping as well as much better distance and speed.

I just checked and you can buy it online for $12.50 and do your own

install it's a very easy system to work with.

www.pcconnectionexpress.com/.../Detail.htm

34 Posts

August 9th, 2011 17:00

Unbelievable thanks for the info, I guess the XPS 15 is going back for a XPS 15z and a new card.

3 Posts

August 10th, 2011 08:00

Hi all,

I've been looking for this XPS 15z laptop, and was going to buy it, until i looked at this thread, would anyone confirm me if the problem with the wireless card only lies on the N6230?.

So if i get the configurator and change wireless card for the N 1030, will it work just fine, or is it possible i end up with the same problem?.

Hope any user or Dell itself can answer this.

Also good luck to everybody who got the defective model, hope you can solve the issue.

8 Posts

August 10th, 2011 09:00

I wouldn't buy the 15z and replace the wifi card yourself.  For one, it's possible it would void the warranty.  The second reason, I think the antenna setup may be the root of the problem.  And, the antenna in the 15z is wrapped around the screen.  When they replaced the antenna in mine they had to swap out the whole LCD.  

Dell should be offering the 1030 (or something else that works) as an option from the factory.

3 Posts

August 10th, 2011 09:00

They are!, i meant that when i wrote"the configurator", hehe.

I guess i should have been more specific. You are given the option to choose between

Wireless Only

- Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000

- Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150

Wireless + Bluetooth

- Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 & Bluetooth 3.0

- Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6230 & Bluetooth 3.0 (Dell Recommended)

That is, in the US website. So i guess the can't tell you a N1030 card won't go in a 15z laptop.

8 Posts

August 10th, 2011 10:00

I just went through all the customize options for the XPS 15z and I didn't see any options to change the wifi card.  Are you talking about the regular XPS laptops?

1 Message

August 10th, 2011 11:00

doslagos, can you explain more about the insulation problem you found?  How did you fix it?  What was touching what?  What is the correct orientation of the antenna leads?

3 Posts

August 10th, 2011 12:00

Racebelly you're right, my bad, i just didn't pay attention to the "Z" part when configuring the laptop. Sorry :emotion-6:

8 Posts

August 10th, 2011 13:00

Nino, no problem.  I wish they did offer a different net card for the 15z.

No Events found!