Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

E

June 13th, 2008 03:00

New HD - XP system installed. Soooo many driver choices.

Okay, had to put new HD in Dell Inspiron 9300.   Installed XP Home Edition.  Now, understand that I know "just enough to be dangerous."  So if you see anything wrong with what I did so far, pullleesseee tell me!

I read a ton of posts about "To Partition... or NOT to Partition."  Right or wrong, I did partition my hard drive.  Here is why... and tell me if I messed up.

I read that if you want to install VISTA later [UGH... I hate Vista. It's running on this XPS M1210 of mine.], it has to be installed on the "C" drive.  So, I did the partition thing.  I hope you guys aren't snickering.

C drive - 100GB --- All free space

D drive - CD/DVD Drive

E drive - 20GB --- Has just XP installed --- Shows 2.56GB used and 17.4GB Free Space -
  Has Windows folder, Outlook Exp, IE, Moviemaker, Windows Media Player, etc.  Nothing extra.

Here is my problem.  I went to the Dell site and looked up the info on my system.  I didn't realize Dell doesn't have an Exact list of what my specific computer has on it.  I believe I read that somewhere.  I have tried for 3 days to figure out what drivers I need, and I'm lost as a goose!  I found ONE answer, because I googled it, and my exact question was answered on this forum by Bill_B.  Someone asked about my network driver, and Bill answered with the link to the exact driver needed.  The system config list said,

"1 K3444 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., NETWORK..., MINI PCI CARD..., INTEL2200, NOT APPLICABLE..."

Bill's answer was, "Here's the link."  WOW!  So I have one out of WHO KNOWS how many I need?

All I can do at this point is copy and paste the list from the Dell website, and hope you guys will be nice enough to tell me what I have to do.  I read that the MOST important issue is that I install drivers it the correct order.  So even though I downloaded the file noted in the thread... R155386.EXE... I haven't touched it yet. 

FYI, I have the laptop up and running.  The OS looks to be perfect... although the screen looks a little "off."  Hopefully only because the display driver is wrong.  I did read somewhere on this board that I shouldn't have to even download any monitor drivers, unless I have an external one.  So perhaps it is just a setting.  That's the least of my problems.

You guys soooo rock on this site.  My husband is in dire need of this laptop.  We bought a brand new GORGEOUS Dell desktop for him, and he can't use it.  eTrade has some proprietary software for futures traders that does NOT support Vista. Apparently it is VERY unstable.  They are working on getting the compatibility problems resolved, but won't even give any dates they expect that to be done.  They seem to be in no hurry.  So, I need to get this 9300 laptop running for my husband to use for a few months.  Meanwhile, the new Dell gathers dust.  He needed it for trading LAST Monday!!!

Thanks for hanging in there if you made it this far.  Here is what my system says...  PLEASE tell me what files I need to install and in what order.  [If there is a secret to using the list below to find the right driver, please tell me how!] And did I do a good think or bad by partitioning.  And if bad, how do I fix it?  Start over?   Yes, I hand typed all of this, as it wouldn't let me copy the text; you'll probably say all I needed was the part number:

My Dell Inspiron 9300 System

#F5399  ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., COAXIAL..., LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., 17, SULLIVAN/GILBERT...

#X4766  LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., WXGA+, STANDARD PANELS WORKING GROUP..., 17, SAMSUNG

#H5639  KEYBOARD..., 87, UNITED STATES..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH.., SINGLE POINTING..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO...

#F2951  KIT..., CORD..., FLAT, 3F, D3W/3P, PROPOSITION 65..., UNITED STATES...

#8267R  CONNECTOR.., HEADER..., 2X22, FEMALE..., 2, S, G, 35K, THIRD HEIGHT..., CHIP SET...

#C5668  ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., 10/100, CONEXANT SYSTEMS INC..., 9300

#J7222  ASSEMBLY..., HINGE..., COVER..., PLASTIC..., 9300

#M4186  PROCESSOR..., 80536, PENTIUM M DOTHAN..., Pentium M Dothan, 2.0GHZ, 2MEGB, 533FSB..., PLASTIC GRID ARRAY..., C0

#9T215  ASSEMBLY..., ADAPTER..., ALTERNATING CURRENT..., 90W19.5V, LITEON..., WORLD WIDE...

#Y5522  DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 512MB, 533, 64X64, 8K, 200

#F5135  BATTERY..., PRIMARY..., 11.1V, 6C, LITHIUM..., SIMPLO

#P7464  ASSEMBLY..., DVD+/-RW..., 8X, SONY..., INSPIRON..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO...

#W5378  CARD [CIRCUIT]..., GRAPHICS..., 64MB, M22, 9300

#F4447  HARD DRIVE, 100GB, 9.5MM, 4.2K, FUJITSU..., V50    This has been replaced.

#T7166  KIT..., SOFTWARE..., WP-PRDCT-STE12, ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., V2     I know, software.

#N8757  KIT..., DOCUMENTATION ON FLOPPY DISK..., SOFTWARE..., POWERDVD..., 5.3.1012

#K3444  CARD (CIRCUIT)..., NETWORK..., MINI PCI CARD..., INTEL2200, NOT APPLICABLE...

Thanks for your wisdom!!!

Angie

June 13th, 2008 16:00

My alternative is to take my laptop to the dreaded GEEK SQUAD at Best Buy... Pay them $129++ for them to do the drivers.  They have already told me there is NO GUARANTEE whatsoever that it will work properly, even though the drivers are right there on Dell.com.

If someone can't help me directly, perhaps you can advise me on whether there is another alternative other than the one above.

Thanks,

Angie

June 13th, 2008 22:00

WOW!!!!!  Dell-Bill_B ...... YOU ROCK!!!  OMG, you went above and beyond the call of duty!  Thanks for calling me and walking me through the myriad of issues I had.  You should be VP of Dell.  Hee hee.

This kind of support is what makes me KNOW I have the best with Dell.  Yes, we get duds sometimes when we need support.  But this guy is a keeper.  For everyone needing help, hang in there until you get someone here to help. And if you are fortunate enough to get Bill, you have it made.

Thanks!

Angie             

No Events found!