Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 14th, 2013 09:00

New HDD drops every 5 minutes inspiron 1525

I bought 1TB SSHD (Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014) hdd to replace my old 250 GB 5400 rpm drive.

Did a clean install and was about to download all other softwares in new hdd, it start dropping off. Every 5 minute or so hdd wouldn't be detected and would need a complete shutdown. Starting laptop would make the problem go away for next 5 minute or so.

I replaced back my old drive, just not to deal with the issue. BIOS settings are fine (SATA - AHCI mode, boot sequence is HDD). At this moment I am thinking if 6gbps is not being handled by my laptop? Or it could be defective hdd? If defective, diagnostic run would determine it, right?

Any suggestions plz, else need to return that HDD.......

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 14th, 2013 10:00

Hi prasanta_raj,

It can be annoying when the hard drive fails to get detected. I suggest you to check if the hard drive is seated and connected properly to the ports on the motherboard. This can be done bu reseating the drive. You can run the diagnostics to check the system hardware by following the steps provided in the link below:
http://dell.to/11IdRhi

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

934 Posts

June 14th, 2013 11:00

compare the physical dimension of the new hard drive with the old one.The new hdd might be slightly smaller - if so re-seating the hdd might be not enough to ensure good connection.

watch the video - go to 2:20

No Events found!