Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2013 12:00

New HDD won't work on my Inspiron 1520

I currently have a Hitachi 120GB HTS541612J9SA00 ATA Device and a few days ago I bought a Western Digital 320GB SATA2 5400 RPM 8 MB Scorpio Blue. When I switched the two hard drives the laptop didn't detect the new HDD. I put the Hitachi back, did a BIOS update, removed the Hitachi and put the WD back and again nothing. I fiddled with the BIOS settings but the result was the same, the laptop can't detect the WD HDD. There seems to be no problem with the hard drive because I've tested it with and USB 2.0 interface. Please help me.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 16th, 2013 20:00

Hi CosminHTN,

Please check in BIOS if the hard drive is detected, to check in BIOS follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Restart the computer by tapping F2 key. In the BIOS under Main screen, check the option beside Fixed HDD; if the option shows the hard drive proceed to the next step2. If the option is “None” then the hard drive needs to be reseated. Turn of the computer and reseat the hard drive and repeat step-1.
  2. Select the Advanced screen and change the SATA operation to AHCI.
  3. Select the Boot screen, select 1st boot priority to hard drive and 2nd boot priority to CD/DVD drive.
  4. Press F10 to save and press Ecs key to exit from the BIOS screen.

Now please reboot the system and check. If the system is not booting normally then run custom test on the hard drive. To run custom test please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Switch on the computer, tap F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
  2. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Diagnostics” and press enter.
  3. Select Custom Test and select hard drive.
  4. If the test fails, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Please reply for further help.       

4 Posts

January 17th, 2013 08:00

I've found the problem. Because it was a little slimmer than the Hitachi hdd, the WD hdd didn't slide in the correct position inside the laptop, despite my many attempts to reseat it. I had to take the laptop apart to see whether or not it was properly connected to the motherboard. After I was sure I installed it correctly, I fixed the hdd with the four screws, assembled the whole laptop and the turned it on. Finally it showed up in BIOS. Thank you everyone for your help.

4 Posts

January 17th, 2013 00:00

Hi Nikhil D,

I followed your suggestions, but with the same result. I've restarted the computer, pressed F2 to enter into BIOS, under System -> Device Info it showed Primary Hard Drive = {none}. I've reseated the hard drive several times, went back into BIOS but still the system won't detect the hdd. I even went in BIOS, under Onboard Devices -> SATA Operation and changed the settings there, from ATA to AHCI, then restarted, went back into BIOS but the system couldn't find any primary hard drive. Also, in BIOS settings, the Internall HDD has 1st boot priority.

By comparing the two hard drives side by side I've noticed that the WD is a few milimeters slimmer than the Hitachi. Could this be the cause of my problems?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 17th, 2013 04:00

Check the back of the original drive.  If it has an interposer board, that needs to be moved to the new drive.

The height of the drive makes no difference.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 25th, 2017 07:00

Thanks a lot! It realy work! Hard drive was slim!

No Events found!