Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2017 22:00

New Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (7567) HDMI Out questions

I have a new Dell Laptop, the "New Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming", specifically the 7567 variant.  Before I start, just to let you know my technical experience, I work in the IT field, and have extensive knowledge of building computers, how drivers work, etc, just to give you an idea of my experience. 

I have a couple of problems with video output on the HDMI channel.  The problems I'm having are when I use the HDMI port with my TV.  My TV is a Vizio M422i-B1, and using up-to-date cabling.  I don't have any problems using the laptop with it's built-in panel, and this laptop works perfectly when used in that way. I though will be using this laptop primarily attached to an HDMI port to my TV, and I'd like to know if changes could be made somewhere on the Laptop in a BIOS or utility I'm missing, or if I may have come up with some feature updates in future BIOS revisions - if possible.

The first problem is there is no video signal sent out on the HDMI port during boot and in the BIOS screens. When Windows starts, video signal is sent and everything appears to be working normally.  This is a problem if I want to access the BIOS, or boot to Safe Mode, or do something in the preboot environment such as booting from a USB drive. I don't see anything in the BIOS or anywhere else that would allow me to enable sending video through the HDMI port in this boot phase.

This leads me to the other problem I'm having.  After Windows starts, the desktop environment stutters, or appears to have noticeable lag, constantly throughout operation.  In addition, the Intel HD Graphics shortcut in the right-click menu disappears. It appears that I cannot configure the Intel Graphics settings while the lid is shut and attached to HDMI. Now here's the weird bit. When I open the lid while still attached to HDMI, the Intel Graphics options DO appear in the right-click menu, and my desktop environment is fluid, stutter-free, and works like it should.  But, when I close the lid again, the Intel settings disappear, and performance is very sluggish.  The only way I've managed to get a fluid experience on the desktop again is to remove the Intel Graphics drivers, or leave the lid open. I don't want to do either of these things, as the Intel graphics drivers need to be installed so I get correct performance when using the laptop by itself, and I don't want to leave the lid open while using it attached to the TV.

Here's a list of the things I've tried. 

• Uninstalled both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers, rebooted. Installed Dell drivers from the Dell website. Same results, stuttery, laggy desktop.  (Install order was Intel Graphics, reboot, Install Nvidia Graphics, reboot.)
  • Uninstalled both Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers and used drivers direct from Intel and Nvidia. Same results. 
  • Tried different cabling with no change. Have ordered new cabling that supports the latest HDMI standard, not sure if this will make any difference at all.
  • Set computer power profile to Maximum Performance.
  • Set in Nvidia driver prefrences to exclusively use the Nvidia graphics processor. No change. 
  • There are no options in the Intel settings for HDMI/preferred processor that I could see. 
  • Uninstalled Intel Graphics drivers and rebooted - had fluid desktop the whole time I had the basic VGA driver installed for the Intel Graphics portion of the hardware. Re-installing the Intel Graphics driver results in stuttery, laggy performance again. 

When the lid is shut, which GPU handles the video signal? Is there a possible conflict at the hardware level that might be able to be fixed? 

I will say though, that gaming performance is incredible on this laptop though. Every game that I've played on it so far has exceeded my expectations. Gaming on both the built-in panel and through HDMI on my TV works perfectly. Even though that's what I'll be using this laptop for the most, I would like to know if there is anything I can do to improve the performance in Windows while attached to HDMI. I know this laptop is capable of providing a smooth, lag free experience in Windows itself.  

1 Message

July 10th, 2017 16:00

Same issue here! No solutions here have solved the problem. 

1 Message

July 22nd, 2017 20:00

I solved my problem by updating to the last driver on the intel website, version 15.46.02.64.4729 . Downloading the exe will not work. You need to get the zip file and follow the readme to install from the device manager witht the I have a disk option. I did not need to uninstall the previous driver from dell. Just went to the device manager and on the intel 630 you go to update driver option.

From the readme:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows* "Have Disk" Installation

------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Click "Start", right-click "Computer", and click "Properties".

2.  Click "Device Manager" on the left.

3.  In the "User Account Control" window, click "Yes".

IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 5

4.  Double-click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" if present under

"Other Devices". (Go to step 6).

5.  Expand "Display adapters" and double-click the graphics controller.

6.  In the "Driver" tab, click "Update Driver".

7.  Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

8.  Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9.  Click "Have Disk..." and click "Browse".

10. Browse to the directory where you unzipped the file you

downloaded, click the "Graphics" folder, and select the

"igdlh.INF" file. Click "Open".  (I used igdlh64.inf)

11. Click "OK" and click "Next". The operating system will install

the driver.

12. Click "Close" and click "Yes" to reboot. The driver should now

be loaded.

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 01:00

Ssj4pure, you are a genius! I can verify that your solution works. Downloading and installing the previous Intel driver version 21.20.16.4542, A01 worked like a charm. My HDMI output is now back to normal with no stuttering or lag. The driver can be downloaded from Dell's support website. I have also turned off automatic driver updates in download system setting. The link to the driver is:

downloads.dell.com/.../Video_Driver_3DCC5_WN32_21.20.16.4542_A01.EXE

September 22nd, 2017 07:00

Hello

I have the latest graphics driver but it didn't solve the problems to me. My audio and video keep stuttering randomly whenever I play music via youtube or Spotify alongside with another program.

Oh, the HDMI out also still have the same problem. It can't connect to another display.

Do you have another solution?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2017 12:00

:emotion-2:

Hi quifariadamf

I suggest you update the System Setup(BIOS). Please click on the link below to safety install latest BIOS version on the system.

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer (Official ...

After installing latest BIOS version, run the Guide Me option in your Dell Product Support page. The tool will  detect any much needed (Chipset) drivers for the system. Please follow instructions to run the Guide Me option in the link below:

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

20 Posts

January 1st, 2018 07:00

This problem persist on dell 7577 also.

Lag and Stutter is because of drivers issue but hdmi problems is because the way mobo desinged.

No Events found!