Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AG

May 11th, 2017 09:00

New Inspiron 5000 Series Laptop Had To Be Recovered

Two months ago I bought an HP laptop. I used it for two weeks when the computer froze while I was on the Internet. I couldn't close the browser, minimize the browser, call up the Task Manager, or do anything with the computer. I had to shut it off with the on/off button. When I tried to turn on the computer, it froze at the startup screen, with the spinning dots and the HP logo. It would not load up at all.

It wound up that I had to recover the computer and return it to factory default. It took three hours to do. Mind you, this was a brand new computer.

I returned that computer and bought a Dell Inspiron 5000 series laptop. The computer was working well for three weeks when the exact same thing that happened to the HP laptop happened to my new Dell laptop. I again had to recover a brand new computer and return it to factory default and start all over setting up the Dell.

The HP had an Intel processor and the Dell has an AMD. Basically, the hardware in each laptop is different, so I cannot blame this coincidence on the hardware. I ran a diagnostic hardware check on each computer and both had passed that test. I can only guess that there is something wrong with the updated Windows 10 operating system that causes these new computers to essentially crash and have to be recovered and returned to factory default.

Has anyone else experienced such a strange problem? Is there another explanation for this coincidence? I keep my virus software up to date and consistently scan, so I don't think there is any cross contamination of a virus that I might have loaded onto each laptop.

I am confused.

2K Posts

May 12th, 2017 02:00

Hi AUTUMN GREY,

What is the exact system model? Does the system overheat? Were there any bluescreens / system crashes?

What applications are you using when the system freezes? As you have tested the hardware functionality via the diagnostics, the issue could be isolated to the OS or the apps in use.

If the system is functional at this point, create a system restore point, such that should there be any issues with the system again, you could always restore the machine to the functional point. 

If the issue persists, restart and check in safe mode to see if the system freezes - http://bit.ly/1LHcO2c

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

May 12th, 2017 05:00

It's an Inspiron 5765. For some reason it is listed as a desktop, but it is a laptop that I bought from QVC. There were no blue screens or overheating. I was on the Internet when a message said that the website was not responding. I was unable to refresh the site, shut down the web browser, use the Task Manager to close it, or shut down the computer through the Start button.

I had to recover the system and reset it to the factory default.

Like I said, this exact thing also happened with the new HP computer I eventually returned before I bought this computer.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 12th, 2017 06:00

Were you on the same website when the two systems crashed?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Is there any software that was installed common to both systems?

No. Also, when I tried to turn on the computer again, it froze at the Dell startup screen with the rotating dots. It didn't get to the lock screen. That same thing also happened to the HP I had previously.

It seems like an OC or software issue if the same thing happened to two different brand computers with different processors and drivers, etc. Unless it's inherent in the way all new computers are made.

May 12th, 2017 10:00

Not much. I downloaded iTunes to both, there is a Panasonic photo management software for my camera, and, other than that, just some Word, Excel, and pdf files that I transferred. But I scanned everything for viruses before I transferred them.

I also notice that the Dell is a bit slower now than when I first got it and when I shut it down, it takes a long time for the screen to go dark and the light on the power button takes about 3-minutes, or so, to go out.

2K Posts

May 12th, 2017 21:00

Hi AUTUMN GREY,

Thank you for the update.

For the system slow / shutdown and freezing issue - as advised previously, restart the system and check in safe mode / safe mode with networking.

Enable the built in admin account and check -http://bit.ly/2pqXQ1p 

This will help isolate if the issue is OS profile related or not.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!