Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2016 06:00

New Latitude E7470 and 2.5 inch SSD

Does anyone know if a 2.5 inch SSD can be added to the new Latitude E7470 14inch laptops? I could do that on earlier models (E7440). Looking at the owner manual there seems to be enough space next to the battery, but there is no mention of a 2.5 slot.

A Dell Sale representative assured me that I could but could not provide me with the reference of a caddie / cable to do that (and seemed to be more keen to sell me the laptop than answer my question). Dell support will not talk to me unless I own one already.

M2 drive are nice but limited to 500GB.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 8th, 2016 11:00

I apologize for misunderstanding.  From looking at the user's manual I don't see any room for a larger drive and would have to say that outside of using an external caddy you aren't going to be able to use a 2.5 inch drive.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 8th, 2016 12:00

Beyond there not being room for a 2.5" hard drive, it appears that even if you find a place to fit one, there's no connector for it on the mainboard.

The only way you'll use a 2.5" drive in this system is as noted -- externally.

9 Posts

Sorry, I should probably have been more precise. What I am after is plugging a SATA3 2.5inch SSD, like a 850 EVO, not an NVMe drive:

www.samsung.com/.../Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_Data_Sheet_rev_1_0.pdf

Is there any way to install such a drive, and if so what parts would I need to order? The website only makes references to M2 drives.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

On Dell.Com I am only seeing options for SATA 3 SSD drives. Although currently not being offered there may be plans for an NVMe (PCIe) SSD drive. I currently don’t have information if all system boards shipping out will have an active socket for NVMe DRIVES if an NVMe drive wasn’t ordered at the time of purchase.

Looking at the owner’s manual I do find directions for installing and removing both types of drives.  NVMe drives should have better performance than SATA 3 drives so if it is possible to have both drives I would suggest to make the NVMe drive the boot drive.

I don’t have the model to test so I apologize that I can’t give you any more definite information. If any of you have tried adding two drives to a 7470 please post here with the results.

TB

9 Posts

January 8th, 2016 12:00

The space located on the left of the battery looked promising but I wouldn't buy a laptop on a guess

No Events found!