Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2016 13:00

New M.2 SSD Drive - USB Power Surge

Hi all,

I just purchased a new M.2 512GB SM951 Samsung SSD drive to replace my existing SSD (256GB) in my XPS 9550.

So I wanted to clone my existing hard drive so I purchased an M.2 USB 3.0 enclosure.  Every time I connect it I get the error message "USB Power Surge on Port - USB needs more power" - or something to that effect.I tried purchasing a USB 3.0 Splitter cable so had it plugged into two USB sockets - that didn't work.  I then purchased a powered USB hub - that didn't work either!!!So i'm at a bit of a loss here??

I tried uninstalling the USB drivers, and restarting the system like some suggestions on the web but no luck.

So I'm all out of ideas here!! 

Can anyone make a suggestion because i'm all out of ideas and this is driving me nuts!!

Thanks !!!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 11:00

The issue in both cases here is that you're trying to use an M.2 NVMe SSD in an adapter that only supports M.2 SATA SSDs.  To my knowledge there are no adapters that will convert NVMe to USB, probably because the performance penalty of doing that would be extremely high, so the only people for whom such an adapter would be useful would be those doing migrations like this (and data recovery outside of another system), but that might not be a large enough market to justify developing such a product, or the existing market wouldn't be large enough at the price that this product would need to have.

You'd have to capture an image of your existing SSD to a file somewhere (some other external hard drive, or a flash drive if you have one that's large enough), swap the drive, then boot into your imaging solution's recovery environment, and restore the image to the new one.  Macrium Reflect Free is a popular tool for this purpose.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2016 15:00

Anyone???

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 29th, 2016 16:00

Unplug the system, disconnct the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Then try again.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2017 09:00

Did you ever get this figured out? I have an M.2 512 GB SM961 and a Precision M5510 (basically the same thing as an XPS 9550).

I'm trying to transfer my data over to this new drive before the swap, but it just keeps causing the same USB power surges.

I'm getting ready to give up and just start fresh...again.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 11:00

To add to the correct info above, there ARE ways to connect NVMe externally - but not to USB.  There are external adapters for Thunderbolt.  They run a few hundred dollars though - so they're not for single-time use.

I doubt anyone would bother making NVMe to USB -- as noted, it's a bit like putting bicycle wheels on a 700 hp performance car.

No Events found!