Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

October 24th, 2008 18:00

New M6400 - Small "Freezes/hickups"

Heya,

Received my brand new M6400 today, but got a miner issue I hoped someone might have some pointers on.

The system frequently gets hickups / freezes. If I move the mouse it freezes for an instant and then continues.

These hickups occurs no matter what software Im in. Games, desktop, playing music, watching movies or what ever. It's quite annoying and I can't really use the system like this.

The system failed to install itself on powerup, so I had to reinstall from the acompanying cd's.

The system is a dual core 3 Ghz extreme, 4gig ram, Nvidia FX 3700 M running vista 64 bit.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these hickups is greatly appreciated.

212 Posts

October 24th, 2008 20:00

Did you reinstall all the drivers?  In particular, I often notice that things run slowly after reinstalling the OS until I install the display driver.

October 25th, 2008 06:00

Thanks for you reply.

Yes, all the drivers are installed

4 Posts

November 12th, 2008 15:00

I also have this issue, It is most noticable when navigating the internet with IE, when it can freeze for some time (or indefinitely) I haven't installed anything but vendor supported shrink wrap applications (Microsoft / Adobe) so I am a little put out.

Additionally I just tried to install iTunes 8.1 however this crashes the box with a BSOD.

QX9300, 8Gb RAM, FX3700, Vista x64

4 Posts

November 13th, 2008 16:00

Hi:

For some reason, the initial Vista installation does not upgrade automatically. After two hang ups I decided to review the update options and downloaded 35 upgrades. I am still testing, but you might want to check if this solve your case.

Regards:

Javier

4 Posts

November 16th, 2008 16:00

I have solved my issue and maybe it will help you. I was having your issue and then trying to install iTunes the computer crashed. I tried all the solutions to iTunes problems I could find but this didn't succeed so I installed the Microsoft Debugger and ran an analysis on the DMP file. As it turns out the Webcam Video Driver was to blame. Disabling this device in safe mode allowed my to reboot normally and install iTunes. Reinstalling the device driver has allowed my computer to boot again however the jitter on some music and video is still there so I disabled it again.

I await the next BIOS / Chipset / Video / Audio / WebCam updates eagerly.

November 18th, 2008 18:00

I too have experienced these small but very frustrating issues with the M6400. At first I thought it was a bad install but when I reinstalled it was there again. I then was thinking a memory issue as it happened alot in IT/FF but also with other applications as well (Zune, Outlook, ect.). I ran both the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and also the Dell diagnostics but came back negative for issues.

I have removed the drivers for the web camera upon startup (both disabled in the device manager and also removed using Autoruns) and will report if it cleared the problem in a day or two. Hopefully it does!

-Michael

21 Posts

November 21st, 2008 06:00

I honestly find that dells come with far, far too much preloaded software, and most of it is of no use to me. The software could cause mutual starvations, or just be updating.

I would suggest that you look up the decr4pifier, it removes a lot of that preloaded stuff.

Good luck
Eric

November 21st, 2008 10:00

Saragose,

I am actually a minimalist so the very first thing I do is wipe is clean with a seperate Vista x64 SP1 image. I then loaded all the drivers from the Dell web site for my M6400. I really dont install any 3rd party applications other than Office/Zune and Firefox. Thats it.

There was a BIOS release today so I am hoping this will fix the problem...otherwise I may need to call tech support but i'm not sure what to tell them as this problem is more random and difficult to reproduce. Thankfully (i guess?) it happens about 4-5 times a day. Is it possible to request a new laptop within what...30 days of purchase? Is it 15?

Thanks!

-Michael

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 14:00

Hi:

As owner of a M6400, could you be so kind as to review this post?

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19243123.aspx

I think the problem it describes might be wide spread along the M6400 owners, but it is rather subtle to perceive. If you have the same problem please, comment it.

Regards:

Javier

7 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 05:00

I'm seeing smal lfreezes (.5 sec -2secs) when playing Left4Dead. It seems like the system is freezing when it is about to play a new sound. I'm not sure whether it is audio chip, HD or even the video card causing the problem, although it doesn't seem to matter what resolution the screen is set to. I'm going to create a TrueImage backup tonight and delete various drivers to see if i can sort the problem.

The other issue i have is that the sound is pretty poor with headphones, at least compared to my M90, M6300 and XpS 1730.

1 Message

December 6th, 2008 14:00

I'm glad I just found this topic as I have been having this problem with a new M6400 for almost 2 weeks now.  I have tried everything I know of, but nothing has resolved it.  I am running XP Professional x64. 

My freezing seems to be related to the wireless network as I do not see them when I am on my wired LAN at work.  I do see them when using the wireless Intel 5300AGN at work and home.  Sometimes when the freeze happens, my pointer changes from the default pointer to one that looks exactly like the green icon for the wireless status.  I have installed the latest bios (A01) and 5300 driver.

Does this problem exist on XP or Vista 32 bit?  I'm trying to understand if this is a bios or hardware or OS problem. 

2 Posts

December 13th, 2008 09:00

I’m running a 32bit op on my Covet with 4gigs of ram.  I too have problems with mouse freezes but mine might be a little different.  My problem is that my mouse freezes for a few seconds then the whole system stalls and requires a hard reboot.   I notice this problem after I place my system into sleep or hibernation mode a few times.  I have no idea why this happens.  However, on a clean boot, I don’t have this problem. 

Occasionally, I will see a freeze but it seems to be related to my harddrive re-revving up.  I have noticed a lot of problems if my Vista Power settings are set for too short of a stop time on my hard drive.  I’ve found that I need to keep the harddrive on for at least 20min. 

I have also turned off indexing.  Indexing cause my computer to have loads of problems. 

1 Message

March 6th, 2009 13:00

I had the problem with the system freezing for .5 seconds every 5 seconds or so. It turns out it was the SATA drivers. I had installed from the drivers DVD but that was already outdated the same week I received the machine. Try getting the latest from the website and maybe that will fix your issues.

3 Posts

March 20th, 2009 17:00

I have experienced freezes from a second to many seconds to long enough that I gave up and restarted.  I have the very latest of all drivers and BIOS. 

I have noticed 2 things:

1. Every time it happens, I see the following entries in the Event Log:
   Source: NETw5x32
   Event ID:  5002
   Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN

2.  Sometimes - when I am paying attention - I have noticed the temperatures are high, also (SpeedFan).  I don't know what normal temperatures are, but I normally see the following, which seem high to me:
   Core: 56C
   GPU: 62C

The fans stay OFF until around these temps, and then they come on a low (very quiet) speed until the temps drop a bit, and the shut off.  Everytime I've looked at temps during the "hiccups", they are high.

No Events found!