Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2013 00:00

New Vostro 5470 Does it have mSATA port ?

I want to know if this model (Vostro 5470) have the msata port ? i have seen it in owners manual but when ever i asked a dell representative (chat sessions) they said it don't have . I know currently the available configurations don't have msata ssd pre installed but i have mSATA  64G (half height ) with me so i want to buy 5470 and put it in by myself. But before I buy it I want to be sure if it have the mSATA support ! that's the only thing stopping me to buying it.

I need a confirm answer.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2013 02:00

Hi Yasin,

Thank very much you for your response. Do you know what is the maximum capacity (GB) for a mSATA SSD driver that the Vostro 5470 port can support?
More one question, please: Are mSATA port and PCIe port compatibles?

Regards,

EFR

December 25th, 2013 04:00

Hello,

I would like to buy Dell Vostro 5470, but i'm still hestitating whether to choose 128 GB SSD version or 500GB HDD version. I've read this whole discussion  about mSATA SSD and I am a bit confused - is it possible to install Windows 8 on mSATA SSD (with 500 GB HDD serving as a storage disk)? Will there be no driver issues after reinstalling and upgrading system to Win 8.1? And what's the maximum capacity of mSATA SSD?

and Merry Christmas ;)

thanks

7 Posts

December 26th, 2013 00:00

Here is your answer 

Q1. is it possible to install Windows 8 on mSATA SSD (with 500 GB HDD serving as a storage disk?

A1. Yes ! becasue i am using it. I bought a new msata mini SSD 64GB and put it in the mSATA slot. 

then after backing up all of data from the Origional Hard disk, i deleted every thing from Hard disk .

and booted from from windows 8.1 Pro bootable USB and selected the SSD as the instalation disk every thing was straight forword .

Q2. Will there be no driver issues after re installing and upgrading system to Win 8.1?

A2. all the drivers are available for 8.1 from dell site so no issue of drivers in general. I am having just one issue with finger print reader persona software. My windows finger print login is working but persona give error (cant connect to finger print reader) . I had this issue when i fresh installed 8.1 with upgrade to 8.1 I didnot had this issue.

Q3. what's the maximum capacity of mSATA SSD?

A3. I cant really tell about this. I am using 64GB with no issue ! i think 128GB can also be used but not sure about it .

Now the real problem is to find the mSATA to buy . this is not the normal mSATA. this is even smaller than the mSATA called mSATA mini (half hight). so if you want to put the mSATA in it first check if you can buy any !!!!!!!. because not so many options available to buy mSATA mini

goodluck 

hadron

December 26th, 2013 03:00

Thanks a lot!

4 Posts

February 10th, 2014 06:00

Hi,

If you could help me, I have 2 questions :

- "7. selcted SSD as my primery drive" -> How you did it? I didn´t see where you change the primary drive in F2.

- What did you done to transfer the OS to the msata ssd ?

Thanks,

Marcio

1 Message

March 7th, 2014 06:00

The 128G mSATA SSD(half height) can be used? or Dell vostro 5470 just support up to 64G?

I want to install Windows 8 in this 128G mSATA SSD(half height).

Thanks~

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 03:00

I am in Malaysia and I interested to purchase a Vostro 5470 i5, But with no mSATA.

Would I be able to add my own? Is the slot available in the units that do not come with a mSATA? As I called up dell and they said its built in but the manual available online says its removable or able to be installed.  Please someone help with the confusion. 

I'll still purchase it and hope to see an empty slot for one when I open it up! 

4 Posts

April 29th, 2014 07:00

Finally,
Vostro 5470 comes with a slot mSata "mini Half-Size" available.
You can buy your mSata and insert into the notebook.
I did all the changes by myself.
Regards.
Márcio Freire Teixeira.

4 Posts

April 29th, 2014 07:00

Hi, I have a Vostro 5470 core i7 with 8GB DDR3, one mSata (128GB) and one SSD (Samsung 840 Pro Series 512gb slim).

And, I use the mSata as boot drive.

The problems that you probably will have:

1) The mSata must be the model Half-Size: mSATA Mini (size 25 x 31.5 x 3.26mm).
The default size (50.95mm x 30.0mm x 4.1mm) doesn't fit.

2) The SSD must be slim (size 100 x 69.85 x 7 mm).
The default size (100 x 69.85 x 9.3mm) don't fit.

3) And, to transfer the boot of windows 8/8.1 to the SSD, I used the software Paragon Migrate OS to SSD V.4.

The Dell Support in Brazil refused to help me.
First, they said that I would lose the warranty.
After, they said that they don't support this problem, and don't explain how to make this change.
So, I had to find out for myself.
Now, I'm satisfied, because I have a good performance (8,1 to primary hard disk in Windows Experience Index).
And, I know, that I can't count on Dell Support.
I hope help you.

Regards.
Márcio Freire Teixeira.

October 4th, 2014 10:00

Hi, Marcio, how are you doing? I'm from Brazil as well, São Paulo.

I just bought a dell 5470 and I found this topic about the mSata.

Could you help me please?

1) I'd like to buy this one of 128 gb, I'd like to use mSata and the 500 gb hdd as a storage.

Where did you buy it?

2) I can't find a link to download a Windows 8.1 iso, Do you have the link?

Thanks in advance!

Obs: your answers here has helped me a lot!

285 Posts

October 4th, 2014 12:00

Hi,

Windows 8.1 download link (Use your windows win 8 product key only )below here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

October 4th, 2014 12:00

Hi VINOTH_VINGO,

But I'd like a iso, How I'll install the Win you sent me through usb boot?

October 7th, 2014 12:00

Olá MARCIOFT,

Valeu! Warm regards.

October 14th, 2014 05:00

At the second post your question was already answered.

I supports Half size mSata and maximum 128gb

I was nearly buying a normal size mSata it did not have support at Vostro.

1 Message

January 7th, 2015 09:00

Dear Hadron i read you installed mSata n HDD together and it works, please tell me the recommended SSD type? can i use 128GB or higher? i have vostro 5470 i5

thanks

No Events found!