Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 4th, 2015 09:00

New XPS 13 9350 Screen Freezing Intermittantly

This new XPS 13 I have had for about 24 hours is suffering from screen freezes. The entire screen will freeze for seconds at a time, sometimes up to 10+ seconds, sometimes it doesn't unfreeze. It is freezing as I write this. At first I thought it was a problem with the touchpad because the mouse would jerk and hitch when I went to move it, but I realized shortly after that it was the whole screen that was hitching. Here are some things I've done and learned so far:

• The problem is not related to CPU temperature
  • The problem is not related to CPU utilization
  • The problem is not related to RAM utilization
  • I tried updating all the relevant drivers (audio, video, chipset, CPU) (unsuccessful)
  • I tried uninstalling all of the Dell bloatware (unsuccessful)
  • I tried disabling all of the Startup processes (unsuccessful)
  • I did a Windows recovery to the factory image (unsuccessful)
  • I "updated" the BIOS (the BIOS in Dell's support page is still 01.00.00) (unsuccessful)
  • I tried running Thorough Diagnostics on the computer through Dell's ePSA. The only thing that amounted from that was that it couldn't detect the hard drive, it didn't see one installed. The program may not be designed to recognize PCIe SSDs. (unsuccessful)
  • I tried booting in Safe Mode, and didn't notice any freezing - (successful?)

What should my next step be? A $1000+ laptop should not be having this problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 19th, 2015 10:00

Have you tried disabling bluetooth? I

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2016 12:00

Hi Mattei,

I've got the same notebook and similar problem at the beginning. Did you tried the solution from "antondotnet on 25 Nov 2015 1:03 PM" above? This solves the screen freezing for me. By now, Intel has released new versions for the HD 520 graphic chip, see more:

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-HD-Graphics-520-for-6th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

Please check also if you got the bios version 1.1.7 or higher - this fixes some bugs and also more than 2 houres of battery life.

Greetings

Chris

7 Posts

January 4th, 2016 00:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding. I'd read antondotnet's comment but had not checked driver versions yet. I installed "9350_Video_Driver_88HHT_WN32_20.19.15.4300_A02.EXE" (v20.19.15.4300,A02) from Dell. As it turns out, antondontnet's comment came after the release of the driver I installed!

So, I installed the latest from Intel. After doing so, I re-installed the Hyper-V Windows feature. So far, so good. If I have to revert back, I'll post about it here.

During the driver updates I mentioned, I flashed to v1.1.7 and thunderbolt v02.05.04,A00. Doing so did not help with the screen/video issue. I didn't know about the battery life. Thanks for mentioning it!

The current Intel download (eek to the last issue "fixed"):

DRIVER VERSION: 15.40.14.64.4352 & 15.40.14.32.4352

DATE: December 22, 2015

KEY ISSUES FIXED:

Display may flicker on 6th Generation Intel Core and related processors

Corruption seen in Microsoft Store Maps application

Stability Fixes for 6th Generation Intel Core and related processors w/ Intel® Iris™ Graphics 540          

System may hang on systems with both discrete graphics and Intel graphics

System may hang on GfxBench

System may hang on systems with HD Graphics 510

Reduce probability of getting a blue screen in certain scenarios

13 Posts

January 6th, 2016 01:00

Installing the latest 4352 graphics driver (using antondotnet's instructions) fixed the graphics problems on my computer, but only when "System cooling policy" is set to active (Power options > Processor power management).  Though my screen issues seemed to be related to CPU load/temperature, so might be a different cause then that of the original post.

7 Posts

January 6th, 2016 18:00

Hmm. Now I'm experiencing Bluetooth disconnection approximately half the time my browser window (MS Edge) freezes - this is new, every 15-30 minutes. The mouse pointer stops moving while I'm viewing a page, usually with a fair bit of javascript or video. I then have to use the touchpad, head into settings, and open the Bluetooth settings dialog. Presto changeo, the mouse is back (Dell WM-615). No need to change, click on, or reconnect anything. Just navigate to the Bluetooth settings.

Annoying and weird.

May 20th, 2017 11:00

Disabling Hyper-V ended up fixing up my issue.  I was just doing some POC with Hyper-V.  User virtualbox most of the time, so not a big thing right now at least.  Going to get a new notebook, as this one is past 3 years.  Over the 3 years has been a bit flaky all the time.  Not going to update with a beta driver at this point.  After going to Windows 10 Creator's update, notebook really tanked.  Screen would lock up.  Could not plug in my HDMI and video port for my external monitors.  Turned off Hyper-V and things started working agaiin.  Something on the chip must be incompatible.  Burned enough hours trying to get this to work.  I'm done with this for now.  Thanks mattei for you suggestion!!  It really helped me out.

8 Posts

December 30th, 2017 15:00

meh ... problem came back a while longer.

Come on Dell is there a solution for this issue or what ?

No Events found!