Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2009 00:00

New XPS 1645 Crashes constantly!

Hi,

My new Studio XPS 1645 was just delivered 1-day ago, and after about 8 hours of use, it keeps crashing constantly. The pc remains froozen, monitor on, lights on, but no response at all. I just ran the Dell support tool, and all the test were passed. Please I need help, is there something wrong? Maybe a defective hardrive or motherboard?

Thanks,

23 Posts

January 19th, 2010 04:00

I tried every one of those "solutions," starting with a clean installation of Windows 7, turning off all power management options that would lead to any type of hibernation, a bios update, and having a Dell technician remotely access my computer (twice) and disable a lot of things in MSCONFIG.  None of them worked.  Two weeks ago, Dell sent a technician with a new motherboard and new RAM.  So far, I have not had a new lock-up since then.  Maybe my problem is fixed. 

From the posts I have read just on this thread, there seem to be a variety of problems causing the lock-up issue, with a variety of solutions.  Maybe a change in software configuration will solve the problem for some people, but for others it seems to have been a hardware problem.  I am not ready to consider my computer fixed, because I went for about two weeks with only one lock-up at one point, and then the problem returned in full force with about a half dozen lock-ups in two days. 

One thing I have noticed since the hardware change is that the computer runs a lot cooler, particularly around the touchpad area.  The rather noisy fan also runs a lot.  Other than that, the computer is working O.K., as long as the lock-ups don't start again.

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 17:00

Ok, I just reinstalled Win7 by myself with no dell programs or other advertisements...

Everything is going nice and the system looks better. It didn't Froze not even once.

BUTTT when I run heavy Flash applications, I get problems!
I have all updateded drivers from Dell.

You guys can try. Go to facebook and run the FARMVILLE application. Visualize a big farm and put on FULL SCREEN.
When I do that in one or two minutes, first, my mouse cursor change and gets SO BIG. My system runs slow... And even when I see the CPU performance everything is fine, no more than 10% busy, most of time I get 0%. Right now for example I'm typing and the letters get a delay to appear on the screen.

What can I conclude? Maybe is a graphic card problem or instability.
If this problem persists I can not keep this laptop, because I work with graphics and I NEED a good graphic card that runs at least medium applications..

Dell Studio XPS16 (1645)
| i7-720QM | 6GB DDR3-1333 | ATI 4670 1GB |
| 1080p WLED | 500GB HD | BD Burner | Windows 7 64-bit |

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 19:00

Little side note about computer memory. Manufacturers cannot afford to test their memory modules. It takes too long. Memory is always suspect in my book. I used to work as a memory test engineer at Smart Modular Technologies. We manufactured memory for Hp, Compaq, Hyundai, IBM, and just about everybody else who makes pc's and routers. Take my word for it, memory is not tested thoroughly, it's "guaranteed by design" even Intel flash is guaranteed by design. Trouble is that with the densities of todays memory chips and modules, it just takes way too long to test. In an industry where 30 seconds test time is an eternity, it takes minutes to fully test memory. It is tested for assembly defects (opens and shorts) because those problems show up right away, but not functionality.

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 20:00

on a flash game or video right click, go to settings, and disable hardware acceleration. That was one of my problems too.

9 Posts

January 24th, 2010 00:00

on a flash game or video right click, go to settings, and disable hardware acceleration. That was one of my problems too.

Thanks man!!!

I just did that and apparently I have no more problems. Let's see.
Just to let all know, it's the 3rd day with no Freezing or Crashes since I installed a clean Win7. :) (I use to have at least once a day before)

9 Posts

January 29th, 2010 19:00

Hi all,

I have received my new studio XPS 16 on 1/1/2010. Until now, my laptop has frozen 9 times, it seems like no solution for it, i am disappointed with dell.

My configuration is the Core i7 720, Windows 7 Pro, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, 15.6 " 1080p Display.

I really recommend a clean Win 7 install.
Before I do that my system was freezing at least once a day. Since I did the re-installation (almost 2 weeks ago) I didn't have not even One Crash or freezing.

Hope you get it working, because we spent a lot money in this laptop and should run PERFECTLY! :)

1 Message

Hi all,

I have received my new studio XPS 16 on 1/1/2010. Until now, my laptop has frozen 9 times, it seems like no solution for it, i am disappointed with dell.

My configuration is the Core i7 720, Windows 7 Pro, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, 15.6 " 1080p Display.

37 Posts

Sorry to butt in but i would be cautious with the optimism when re-installing windows 7. I have performed this seems abit more stable but crashes/freezes still OCCUR.

January 29th, 2010 20:00

Sorry to butt in but i would be cautious with the optimism when re-installing windows 7. I have performed this seems abit more stable but crashes/freezes still OCCUR.

i agree with you RaymondKL... same happened to me.. freezes/crashes were not occuring for 2 or 3 weeks after a clean install.. but crashes and freezes are back again.. but they are less frequent now... its some design problem in i7 i guess,,as i have read some user reviews for same config, i mean i7 and ddr3 from other manufacturers like HP , and they are facing exact problem as we are moreover some of them also get BSODs.. so its less dell fault and more design's fault.. lets hope for positive sloution to come up as earlier as possible.. p.s. i will never reccomend this system to anyone ever.. just go for core 2 duos , quads or extremes.... they still rocks, with no such problems..

9 Posts

Did you use the Dell Recovery or used only a the windows 7 installation copy?

37 Posts

I like a clean environment on my machine to do work on.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 + Drivers obtain from the support website. Made sure there were no unknown devices etc

37 Posts

January 29th, 2010 21:00

Was hoping this gets resolved in the next BIOS release.. I've mentioned several times already but dell support acknowledges this issue along with the throttling, although not as publicize but i think this is a major show stopping for me personally VS throttling.

Frustrates me.

January 29th, 2010 21:00

just waiting for new BIOS update.. hoping for some improvements..

37 Posts

February 1st, 2010 20:00

Hey guys, Reading another thread from NBR I've noticed some users don't experience these issues when  SB X-Fi MB software is un-installed.

Was wondering if there is anyone here WITHOUT  SB X-Fi MB experiencing random freezing etc

Using this laptop for almost an entire day it has not crashed , usually it crashes at least once a day.

Edit: Just Crashed... one of those moments where u just laugh... 

12 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 05:00

I uninstalled the SB X-FI MB software and upgraded to MS Office 2007 from 2003 on 1/16 and have not crashed since. I am still holding my breath, I was crashing on the average of every other day since I received the laptop 11/14.

No Events found!