Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2009 00:00

New XPS 1645 Crashes constantly!

Hi,

My new Studio XPS 1645 was just delivered 1-day ago, and after about 8 hours of use, it keeps crashing constantly. The pc remains froozen, monitor on, lights on, but no response at all. I just ran the Dell support tool, and all the test were passed. Please I need help, is there something wrong? Maybe a defective hardrive or motherboard?

Thanks,

25 Posts

February 15th, 2010 08:00

Yep, after uninstalling I had the same no sound/locking issues.

Check your event log and I'm assuming you'll find the following error at the times it occurred:
"The SessionLauncher service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

After doing some digging, I found in Services that SessionLauncher by Sonic was looking for the executable in a temp directory here: c:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DX9\SessionLauncher.exe

So I have manually disabled that service now.

I've also disabled Sound Blaster X-Fi MB Licensing in msconfig.

I've now been running lockup free, sound happy for over a week now\

HTH

Stowball, where did you disable this SessionLauncher.exe from?  I can't find it in MSConfig, did you do it somewhere else?

Thanks.

February 15th, 2010 08:00

I bought this laptop for my wife for Christmas and anytime she went to farmville the screen turned white and the computer was unresponsive so we would have to do a hard restart. I don't think it was happening on hulu. I made sure we had the latest version of flash and tried using I.E. and had no luck. So the next step was to do a clean reinstall of Win 7 with only the programs and drivers I had to have. Firefox is the only program I've added since then. The computer continued to crash so I tried the latest flash beta (version 10,1,51,66), now just the browser crashes rather than the whole computer and since I have firefox set to remember the last tabs used it pops right back up to where it was. It isn't a fix but it's far less annoying than having to do a hard restart all the time. Hopefully Dell will find a fix. Are they completely ignoring this forum?* I don't believe I have the Creative software or SB x-fi software. I will probably give the modified drivers a shot if someone can tell me were to get them. Also, I was told 2/12 for the next bios and my 130W adaptor is already on its way. Though thankfully I haven't experienced any problems with that particular issue.

Thanks,

-Scott

*edit: I don't guess they're completely ignoring this forum, as they made it a point to remove my post for some reason. It's wonderful that they won't deliver a fix but then delete a post which is trying to do just that.

I still experience system lockups.

1) The latest BIOS is A07, I have it installed.

2) There is no Creative software on my computer.

3) I tried turning off Hardware Acceleration in Flash and had no success.

The only way I have managed to prevent system lockups is to install the most recent beta version of flash and even then the browser crashes on a regular basis. Luckily firefox pops back up with the most recently used tabs so I can get right back to what I'm doing. This happens most often in Farmville, wife's addiction not mine, but since I bought this laptop for her the problem needs to be corrected.

I'm glad the listed steps worked for you but they haven't for me.

Just to update my situation. I installed the Flash Player 10.1 beta 2 debugger the day before yesterday and haven't experienced a browser crash yet (my system crashes were replaced by browser crashes after I installed Flash Player beta 10.1.51.66). The browser crashes were occurring every 30 minutes or so. Neither Firefox or I.E. crashed but I.E. ran very slowly for some reason. I couldn't care less, who uses I.E. anymore?

Maybe this will help someone else, I'll update if there are any changes. Here is the link to the debugger I installed

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

6 Posts

February 15th, 2010 12:00

Yep, after uninstalling I had the same no sound/locking issues.

Check your event log and I'm assuming you'll find the following error at the times it occurred:
"The SessionLauncher service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

After doing some digging, I found in Services that SessionLauncher by Sonic was looking for the executable in a temp directory here: c:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DX9\SessionLauncher.exe

So I have manually disabled that service now.

I've also disabled Sound Blaster X-Fi MB Licensing in msconfig.

I've now been running lockup free, sound happy for over a week now\

HTH

Based on stoball's post above and other posts, I plan to do what stoball did in increments to see what happens--in order of easiest to reset my computer to the most work to reset.  After each step, I'll not do the next step until the system locks up again.  I'll undo the previous step before progressing to the next step.  If, for example, step 1 does not fix, then I will undo step 1.  Then, if step 2 alone does not fix the problem, I will repeat step 1 with step 2, etc.

1. disable Sound Blaster X-Fi MB Licensing in msconfig (IMPLEMENTED 2/15/2010 12:00PM PST; RE-ENABLED 2/19/2010 11:00 AM)

2. manually disable SesssionLauncher by Sonic (DISABLED 2/19/2010 11:00 AM; SET BACK TO AUTOMATIC 2/23/2010 10:30 AM)

3. Uninstall SoundBlaster X-Fi MB (UNINSTALLED 2/23/2010 10:30AM)

4. Uninstall Roxio

I'll report when a lockup (i.e., freeze) happens or after a week if no lockup till then.

Please, let me know if you have any other suggestions!

2 Posts

February 15th, 2010 15:00

I was about to order one of these machines, but after reading about all your problems I am starting to think otherwise.

I ended up getting an ASUS with better specs for $400 less,.. People shouldn't have to go through all this trouble for a brand new laptop, with Dell being as well known as it is, you think they would know better,.. or has it gone to their heads? We bought an Inspiron 9400 about 3yrs ago, it's been flawless,.. looks like things might have changed for Dell.

12 Posts

February 15th, 2010 18:00

Maybe Jason should get an Apple if tweaking a bleeding edge computer is too much for him. Frankly I enjoy taming this GREAT machine, thanks Dell.

February 15th, 2010 19:00

Maybe Jason should get an Apple if tweaking a bleeding edge computer is too much for him. Frankly I enjoy taming this GREAT machine, thanks Dell.

Maybe Jim should get a dictionary so he can learn the difference between tweaking and fixing.

February 15th, 2010 20:00

:emotion-1: Touche...

February 16th, 2010 05:00

@jimdebois, we like our adventurous, unpridictable beast.. thats y we are still trying to tame it.. but its realy hard for some.. may be they r rite also...

6 Posts

February 19th, 2010 11:00

Had a crash again yesterday.  Undid step 1 and did step 2 (as noted in those lines above).

12 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 17:00

I will give uninstalling the SB X-FI software a shot, as well as the advanced audio fx engine. Fingers crossed.

6 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 10:00

Crashed again today.  Changed order of steps 3 and 4, undid step 2, and implemented the (new) step 3 as noted in my previous post shown below:

Re: New XPS 1645 Crashes constantly!  

15 Feb 2010 02:55PM

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19303822/19657200.aspx#19657200

9 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

Just to update my situation for everybody know.

Again I repeat... Clean windows installation was my solution. No crashs, no freezing, nothing since Jan 20th, when I reinstalled everything (I didn't do Dell Recovery).

I also received the 130w charger as someone told us to ask in the forum. Thanks!!!

I've updated to BIOS A07, I have all drives runing fine... so, right now I'm satisfied. I hope you guys get a solution. Good lucky and never give up! hehe

37 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 12:00

Let us know how you go with that ! my machines been running fantastic so far :)

Cheers

1 Message

February 23rd, 2010 18:00

Thank you; my computer was freezing every ten to fifteen minutes while surfing the net. Uninstalling the Creative apps instantly fixed the problem. Everything is great now.

12 Posts

February 26th, 2010 09:00

So far it seems to have worked, no lockups or freezes since I uninstalled the SB X-FI and Advanced audio fx engine.  Sound is still working for regular purposes (video, general computing) I have not tried gaming since the uninstall.

So that is another vote towards the Sound Blaster drivers being the culprit.  Sure beats reimaging the machine!

No Events found!