Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2016 09:00

New XPS13, (9360), Unable to do a clean install

Hi, all. Bought a new Dell XPS13, (9360). Wanting to start with a clean machine, I'm trying to wipe the drive and install Windows 10 from a USB. But I am receiving an error message each time I try: A media driver your computer needs is missing.  When I get to the window that asks "Which type of installation do you want?" I select Custom, and when it proceeds to the next page, "Where do you want to install Windows?", the message appears "We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver." Then, when I do that the next page says to insert the installation media containing the driver. If it helps, I also tried using another USB drive, (one is a 3.0, the other is a 2.0), and tried in both USB ports on the laptop. Also shut off Secure Boot option in the BIOS. Same results. . .keeps asking for the storage driver. 

I'm stumped.  I did this last year with another new XPS13, (9350), and it was fast and easy.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2016 09:00

You need to have the Intel RST (NVMe) driver on a flash drive -- when indicated, pause the install and load the driver.  Then the drive will be seen by the installer.

Look in the drivers section under Serial ATA.

52 Posts

December 27th, 2016 18:00

That did the trick.  Thank you!

Curious, though.  I installed Windows 10 last year on a new XPS13  that I purchased for my wife.  I don't recall needing to have that driver on the flash drive.  

No Events found!