Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2012 13:00

New XPS17 with 3rd gen?

Has anyone heard anything about when Dell will release a 3rd gen XPS17? I was disappointed that it wasn't announced along with the smaller computers.

9 Posts

August 17th, 2012 13:00

Thanks for the clarification.

9 Posts

August 17th, 2012 14:00

But the Inspirons have problems, and the old XPS 17 is no longer available, and although the Alienware is packed with goodies, I don't like the look of it when I'm in the law library, or in court.

9 Posts

August 17th, 2012 14:00

Plus, I'm still fuming from the "special treatment" afforded me by Customer Support!

4 Posts

September 19th, 2012 09:00

Hello;

I am also looking for a 17 IN desktop replacement to replace my current XPS17, and want more options/quality than the Inspiron R, a gaudy Alienware unit will not work, and am unwilling to pay the mark-up for a Precision.

Any updates from Dell regarding plans to issue a new upgraded XPS 17?  Any feedback from posters above on units they have turned to without 3rd Gen XPS17 as an option?  I'm considering a Samsung Series 7, but need to do further research - have been holding out for the XPS but need to act soon a new unit, so will not wait much longer.

Thx - Brad

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 19th, 2012 09:00

If you need it soon, you will need to look elsewhere - even if Dell were to announce a new model soon, there's always a lag time before shipment.  There's no evidence of another XPS model fitting your requirements.

9 Posts

September 19th, 2012 10:00

Brad:  According to Dell, there will not be any more XPS 17s.  I went with Toshiba X875-Q7290.  It's somewhat more expensive, but when you see what you get for it, it's definitely worth the extra!

4 Posts

September 19th, 2012 13:00

Thanks for feedback - the response I received from customer service a couple of weeks ago was not encouraging, so posted in hopes of "last minute" news before buying something else (hoping to at least be able to resue my extra power supplies,etc. with a new Dell).  The Toshiba looks interesting - thanks for the heads up.  Do you have any experience with the Quasimo's from a reliability / robustness point of view?  I haul my computer around to construction sites / welding shops, and while it doesn't need to be used right in the line of fire, does need to put up with dusty environments...

9 Posts

October 17th, 2012 12:00

Well, then I hope you're happy with it.  I had 2 and sent both back because they both had problems, and both were pieces of <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> .  As long as you're happy, that's all that counts.  Except, you haven't dealt with Dell Support yet.  Wait, the fun is only beginning for you. 

As for me, I bought a Toshiba X875-q7290.  Compare the specs between your special edition and my normal edition.  There is no comparison as Toshiba beats it in every category!  It was well worth the extra money.  I am no longer a Dell customer after 14 years.

And, I didn't need an education on the Dell 17R SE.  If you had read all the posts, you'd see I know all about them and their problems.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Ron K.

4 Posts

Thanks Ron - I have not purchased yet, but will be in the next week or so.  Never saw much more than 1.5 hours on my Dell, so wouldnt expect ton more from the Toshiba.

9 Posts

i couldn't help you there.  Mine just stays in the house.  The only problem you may have is battery life.  It's not the 2 hours that Toshiba says, but it might be because I don't have something set up correctly.  Otherwise, the performance is unmatched.

If you don't need a 3D laptop, then go with the X875-Q7280.  But, Toshiba has already upgraded these laptops so you'd be looking at the X875-Q7380...or the Q7390 for 3D.

11 Posts

I know this thread seems to have gone dead a while back but I thought I would just comment regarding my experience with the 17 inch laptops. I have just sold my XPS 17 and bought a 17R SE. I don't know what the situation was when you guys were posting but the 17R SE is far more powerful than the previous XPS 17 and in my opinion is such a powerful laptop you can't improve on it bar alienware. In case you guys were slightly confused a 650m 2GB ddr5 card is a very strong performing card. The build quality of the 17R SE isn't even bad and is far better than the 17R. Unless you just want the badge of XPS there would be no reason not to buy the 17R SE especially seeing as they are dirt cheap on the outlet website right now. 

9 Posts

October 17th, 2012 16:00

The 17R SE is a , and that's demonstrated by the price.  Glad you like it because now you're stuck with it!

11 Posts

October 17th, 2012 16:00

Dells customer service can be very frustrating I agree. But my point still is very valid,  The Qosmio X875-q7290 is comparable to an Alienware not an XPS 17. Its costs roughly £1200 maybe more, I just bought a 17r SE for £600 with an i7 8gb 1666mhz ram 650m + 1080p screen. I'm sure you are happy with your laptop, but you must be able to see that its an enthusiasts laptop, Its for people who are happy to pay large amounts of money for a relatively small amount of frame rates. I was trying to help out people that were drawn here looking for a replacement to there XPS 17 L702x, which in my opinion is the Dell 17R SE. 

11 Posts

October 18th, 2012 01:00

A fantastic answer for everyone looking to buy a new XPS or equivalent! Buy a Toshiba for £1400, I wish I could of received this stellar advice before I purchased the 17r SE.

9 Posts

October 18th, 2012 02:00

While I don't think it's necessary for anyone to get hostile on any side of this conversation, the issue is not about money. I have no doubt that the 17R SE is a good value for a budget computer, but we're looking for more computing power for the applications we run, and part of the problem with the 17R is that it's not even customizable. No one needs to denigrate someone else's choice of computer. Will164, I appreciate that you wanted to let people know that for you, the 17R was a great choice and maybe they should take a second look. But I'm even more appreciative to you, MontanaRon, and to Brad as well, for giving me some ideas for a laptop that is more likely to meet my needs. I think we need to simmer down and simply acknowledge that what works for one person is simply not going to work for another.

No Events found!