Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 28th, 2015 12:00

New laptop running slow

I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop in May and everything works fine, except it's running slow.  It's slow when opening programs and the Internet is slow.  I suspect it's the McAfee antivirus program that's causing it - I had McAfee previously on another laptop, and it caused it to run slow.  The new laptop has more memory than the previous laptop so I don't know if this is still the case.

The laptop also has freezed up a couple times.  I was just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

Hi cagill,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

Please let me know if this helps.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It very well could be McAfee -- uninstalling that completely (and installing or activating MS Defender) will likely improve things significantly.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 28th, 2015 15:00

:emotion-2:

May I know the system model and the Operating system installed on your Laptop? I also like to know how much memory and terabyte (TB) came install on your Laptop? For example:

Dell Inspiron 15 i3543-2501BLK Signature Edition Laptop, Windows 8.1, 64-bit

4GB of memory, 1TB hard drive

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 28th, 2015 16:00

You wrote: " I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop in May and everything works fine, except it's running slow.  It's slow when opening programs and the Internet is slow ".

----------------------------

Your laptop might be experiencing some serious Malwares.I'd like to suggest downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. It's one of the best at removing malwares.  

www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 13:00

Downloaded and installed Malwarebytes.  Scanned computer; no issues found.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 5th, 2015 08:00

It appears to me, your Laptop is free of any kind of infections.Now, you need to download a tool which will delete your temporary files, history and other unnecessary stuff that might be causing the slowness on your Laptop. I like to suggest CCleaner - Free).

From Piriform:

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.

www.piriform.com/ccleaner

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

July 27th, 2015 16:00

I updated BIOS, and when I restarted the computer, I couldn't open any programs.  I ran the diagnostics and no issues were found.  When I restarted again, I was able to open programs.

I've removed McAfee and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials.  The computer is running better now.

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

July 27th, 2015 16:00

I removed McAfee and installed System Mechanic.  I already had this program installed on my other laptop.  The laptop is running a bit faster, not lighting quick but faster than before.

I also installed CCleaner - Free.

No Events found!