Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

V

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 13:00

No Diagnostic for Failed Audio device

Audio has failed on a friends Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook. So ok l boot into diagnostics via F12 to test the audio. But there is no audio diagnostic test there to run. It's missing. Has anyone seen this on this model or similar? I've checked other Dell notebooks (different models) and their diagnostics do have an audio test. Also it does not appear in device manager. It's out of warranty. The latest BIOS reports the unit has: Audio Controller: Sigmatel 9750 I installed the latest chipset drivers but it didnt help. Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2007 12:00

I don't know the definitive answer to that. I have been told that you have to use "Custom" to get to the audio test but because that is the only way I have ever done it I can't confirm whether that is correct. Having used Diagnostics on other models you obviously know how to do it. Here is the way I do.

To run Diagnostics restart the computer and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests for 3 or 4 minutes before the Dell Diagnostic starts. These pre-boot tests play some beeps and tones through the system speaker but this doesn't test the rest of the audio hardware, so you still need to let Dell Diagnostics run after the pre-boot tests finish.

When Dell Diagnostics opens, select 'custom', then the audio test. This will test your audio system independently of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if they are working correctly or not. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one is working.

Once somebody else told me that he didn't have the audio test. I don't know if it is missing from some versions. I don't remember his computer model either.

You said that you installed the latest chipset driver. Did you also reinstall Dell Notebook System Software (before the chipset driver), the audio driver, try System Restore, and test with headphones? Also check that Audio Service is running and check Plug & Play Device Enumerator?

Jim

3 Posts

December 5th, 2007 00:00

Well I booted a Knoppix Linux boot CD and it too did not detect an audio device so I think it's failed. As an inexpensive workaround I'm using a USB speaker pluggin. It's compact and gives decent sound. Still weird that there is no audio diagnostic test. I did try to custom test but its not present.
No Events found!