Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 18th, 2009 22:00

No HDMI audio on Studio XPS 13 after video driver install (nVidia 8.15.11.8633)

HDMI audio dissapeared after install of new graphics driver (nVidia 8.15.11.8633).

I rolled back to 7.15.11.7982 and HDMI audio works again. How video driver could mess with HDMI audio?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 19th, 2009 06:00

How video driver could mess with HDMI audio?

Because the audio driver for HDMI is part of the graphics driver -- the regular IDT HD audio driver does not create the HDMI audio. We (people on this board) are still trying to figure out the exact mechanism of how HDMI is implemented in the laptops so I cannot give you a specific solution for your model, but perhaps the HDMI driver is not being installed with the new graphics driver. If you go to where the graphics files were unpacked on the hard drive and look though its sub-folders you will probably see something relating to HDMI audio.

C:\dell\drivers\R234725

If there is a sub-folder named C:\dell\drivers\R234725\HDMI then reinstall the new driver and then look in the Device Manager and if you see "Audio device on high definition audio bus" with an exclamation mark, you need to update it. Right click on it and point the updater to the HDMI sub-folder.

But as I said I cannot give an exact known solution because the problem might not be as I described above, but something simpler like the new driver alters the configuration just a little and that affects the HDMI output.

3 Posts

January 5th, 2010 20:00

Hi - did you have any luck with the new video driver? Is the only way to roll back to an old driver? Where do you get the older drivers from?

Thanks,

Ayan

10 Posts

January 6th, 2010 03:00

No luck with new drivers. I have 42' Philips plasma and new video driver detects Philips TV and disables HDMI audio because (as it wrote in release notes) Philips TVs have issues with Nvidia cards.

From NVIDIA release 195 notes: "The NVIDIA driver disables HMDI audio for some displays, which have been identified as having issues with current NVIDIA graphics cards".

I used old video driver from CD that come with laptop. Now I use new video driver (the picture is much better) and send sound from headphones to home theater. You need select headphones as default playback device in IDT control panel.

Hope this helps.

Alexei

No Events found!