Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

July 4th, 2007 20:00

No audio from laptop speakers on a Inspiron 6000

There is no audio coming from the built-in speakers on my Inspiron 6000.  Headphone audio does work as advertised.  I am using Windows XP Home operating system.   I ran a diagnostic and was shown error code 1B22:061B.  What does this code mean exactly?  I have been looking for a list of codes without success. 

Does anyone have a solution?

Message Edited by dcem4 on 07-04-2007 09:11 PM

170 Posts

July 5th, 2007 11:00

@dcem4 wrote:
There is no audio coming from the built-in speakers on my Inspiron 6000.  Headphone audio does work as advertised.  I am using Windows XP Home operating system.   I ran a diagnostic and was shown error code 1B22:061B.  What does this code mean exactly?  I have been looking for a list of codes without success. 

1B22:061B doesn't indicate any particular root cause; it's merely "user responded that he didn't hear any sound."  If, as you say, the speakers aren't working both inside and outside Windows, I'd say you have a true hardware failure; perhaps one of the speaker wires has broken.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 5th, 2007 12:00

dcem4,

I received your p.m.

I agree with the previous answer re the code. It just means that you replied to the interactive test that you didn't hear the audio it played. The significance is that in your model the test rules out a software problem.

It could be broken speaker wires, as suggested, but the usual cause of this kind of problem is a bad headphone jack. When you unplugged the hp's then the contacts that were pushed aside by the plug must spring back together and mate to allow the audio signal to pass along to the speakers. This can fail to happen. Sorry to tell you but the jack not a replaceable part in your model without replacing the motherboard.

If no longer under warranty, your best bet is to connect a pair of powered speakers to the headphone jack.

Jim

170 Posts

July 5th, 2007 15:00

@dcem4 wrote:
Sam,

Do you think it worth opening up the case and checking the speaker wires?  Since it is a laptop what are the chances the moving around could have caused the speaker wire to come loose from the motherboard? 

Personally, I would not recommend opening the case yourself unless you’re an experienced notebook hardware technician.  The 6000 is hard to get opened up, and hard to get back together once you do have it open.

4 Posts

Sam,

Do you think it worth opening up the case and checking the speaker wires?  Since it is a laptop what are the chances the moving around could have caused the speaker wire to come loose from the motherboard? 

Regards,

dcem4

4 Posts

Sam,

Thanks for the advice on the minor surgery.  I will let it alone for the time being unless I come across an IT type person that knows their stuff.

Regards,

4 Posts

Jim,

Thank you for the response and input.  I will have to check and see if the headphone jack has been getting used.  The laptop is just out of warranty by twenty-four days (go figure). 

Regards,

No Events found!