Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2015 22:00

No audio through speakers or headphones

So today I unexpectedly lost audio through both my speakers and headphones. I have a Dell Inspiron N5040. I'm not entirely sure when it happened, I just know that now fiddling with my volume controllers and headphones it doesn't work. I also tried to update my drivers today, so I'm wondering if it had something to do with that, because it was working prior to that. Specifically there was an update driver for Bluetooth that I ended up cancelling. Maybe that could have caused it?

Currently clicking on the volume control and sliding the bar up and down shows a little green bar that would normally indicate sound would be coming out, but it isn't. I've gone through all the troubleshooting on the Dell Support Audio section on this website it showed and it did nothing.

My drivers are all up to date according to Windows.

Anyone have any ideas of what caused it/how to fix it? 

2 Posts

February 26th, 2015 01:00

spam

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 26th, 2015 05:00

Hello. Open Windows System Restore  (type system restore into the Windows search box) and find a Restore Point dated before you lost audio. That might help is it is a driver issue.

If that does not help then re-install the audio driver. Open Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc into the Windows search box), then expand the "Sound, video, game controllers" category. Look for "IDT High Definition Audio Codec". (If not there go on to the next step.) Right click on the IDT to open the context menu, then choose to uninstall. Do not select the option to "remove the software for this device." Reboot the laptop and Windows will reinstall the IDT audio driver with all settings at default. This will fix any mis-configuration issues.

If that did not help or if IDT was missing from Device Manager, download and install a fresh copy of the driver. Go to the Inspiron 15 N5040 support page. First select your operating system by clicking the small blue "Change OS" button to open the drop down menu. Next expand the Audio category and obtain the IDT driver and follow the instructions.

If that does not help then switch to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the Windows search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the IDT driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

No Events found!