Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 4th, 2009 18:00

No battery is detected

My XPS M1210 battery was working fine yesterday.  This moring I tried to turn on w/ battery and it won't turn on.  So turned on with A/C adapter, and in Windows, it shows "No battery is detected".  Restarted and went into the BIOS and it also shows no battery.  On the battery itself, I push the charge button and all lights comes on indicating full charge as I've plugged it in for 2 hours.

Other laptop batteries slowly deteriorate, but my XPS was working fine last night, it ran almost 2 hours on battery.  No sign of deterioration, just "NOT FOUND".  What the heck?  I've googled and noticed there are many complaints about Dell batteries.  Am I SOL?  Time for new battery?

August 10th, 2011 22:00

Note: I know someone will say three years is the normal lifespan for a laptop battery. First, I have rarely used the laptop's battery (it was almost always plugged in). Second, the method of failure is the problem. The computer has NEVER ONCE warned me the battery was anything but in perfect working order; suddenly, one day the computer freaks out, and now it gives an error message suggesting the battery is in fact missing. This is how your batteries die, Dell?

The truth is, this battery garbage, along with the motherboard problem I experienced last year, are well-known and common to Dell laptops. That's why I'm done with Dell. It has nothing to do with the standard lifetime of a laptop battery.

Every night in my dreams, I reenact the Office Space copier scene on every Dell machine I have ever owned. And there have been several, to my embarrassment. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me 3 or 4 times...big time shame on me.

Now let's see if Dell brings down the hammer of censorship on my posts...

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 11th, 2011 05:00

While you've made up your mind, the fact is that batteries age, used or not - and a three-year old battery that has been in a system run on AC power almost all the time has been subject to constant heat stress and will have aged to oblivion.

As for "motherboard problem I experienced last year, are well-known and common to Dell laptop", the only one that's well known is the propensity of nVidia's graphics chips in these models to fail - and that's shared by ALL manufacturers' systems that use these chips.

1 Message

January 6th, 2012 12:00

Hi - I'm having similar problem but slightly more weird.  Within the last 10 minutes my battery meter has gone from "Battery Undetected" to "98% Available not charging" to "0% Available not charging"  to "100% Available not charging" back to "0% not charging"  There were also a couple more "Battery Undetected" somewhere in there, too.  We're not holding steady at the 0% one.  Any thoughts?  Help!

No Events found!