Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2014 04:00

No boot device found

I have a Dell Inspiron with windows 7 installed.  Whenever I try to turn it on, I get a message "no boot device found, press any key to reboot machine" and "media test failure, check cable".  When going into F12 and diagnostics, it says "hard drive not installed".  Any advice you can give someone with very little computer knowledge?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You need a new 2.5" 7- or 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive - any will work.

If you did not prepare a set of recovery media, you will need to contact Dell for that as well, to reload the operating system once the drive is replaced.  There is currently a $40 charge for that if you're out of warranty.

OK thank you - we've done all of that.  It still says hard drive not installed so I will need to get a new hard drive?  The system is an Inspiron 15R 5520 and I have no idea what to choose and would really appreciate any advice.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It would help to know the system model, but it's likely your hard drive is toast.  Unplug the system, remove the battery and remove and reinstall the hard drive.  If it's then seen, restart and press F12, load the Dell diagnostics and run an extended hard drive test.

If it's then still not seen, it's toast - if you need a recommendation for the new drive you will need to purchase, post the system model.

March 30th, 2014 05:00

Thank you for your help and advice - off to buy new drive and contact dell for the recovery media. 

No Events found!