Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2013 15:00

No power on my Alienware M18x

Was playing GW2 one day and out of no where my Alienware M18x - Nebula Red Anodized Aluminum made a pew noise and there was no power. I looked at the power supply and the green light was gone, so I unplugged from my laptop and the wall outlet and then I plugged it in the wall outlet. Which the green light did come back but when I plugged my it into may laptop you hear a click and the green light goes away. tried other outlets and same thing. Checked the battery which seemed okay hell I pressed the little button on the bottom and the lights that show how much power it had was lighting up. So not sure what is going on. A friend of mine said it could be the power supply but why would the laptop not be able to turn on if the battery is fully  charged. Need help so I can get it fixed. Had to ask my sister for my computer back which I let her borrow since they had to return their laptop.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 03:00

Hi SinX1977,

I appreciate for the trouble shooting steps tried to isolate the issue. Since the LED on the Ac adapter went off when connected to the system, I suspect it is a faulty motherboard. However you may try with a known good Ac adapter. Ideally the system should power on with the charged battery, since the system is not turning on with only the battery in and if the issue persists with a known good Ac adapter as already suspected it may be a faulty motherboard.

Try one last step of discharging residual charge. Shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors. If the system is not powering on even after this step, consider replacing the motherboard.

Click on the link below to check the warranty of the system. In case the system is under warranty, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further. Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

http://dell.to/15xK2TQ

If the system is out of warranty, let me know the region you belong to, to provide the contact information to get the system serviced for a charge.

No Events found!