Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2013 09:00

No screen after resume from Sleep, XPS 12 9Q33

Just revived my new XPS 12 Haswell system on Saturday. Noticed a problem when the system went to sleep. After I try to turn on the system only the backlight keys come on and a steady on light on the power switch, no screen. The laptop will not show a display after it resumes from sleep. So in regular use I am unable to use the power switch to put the system down or close the lid. I loose anything I am working on because I have to hold the power switch to do a cold boot.

I thought maybe I did something funky in the settings without noticing. So since I just got the machine I did the full restore, wipe and re-install option provided at boot. System did a wipe and re-installed windows. Same behavior :/

Is anyone else having this issue....

My best,

David

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 20th, 2013 17:00

I have heard more from engineering.  For those of you that find that IRST is disabled after updating to BIOS rev A02 to check the SSD and verify if the 8 gyg IRST partition is available.  Open disk manager and see if 8.00 GB partition is listed.  If so then you should be able to enable IRST in the bios.  If not, then you will need to create an 8 GB partition on the drive, and have the IRST software installed before enabling IRST.

Please let me know if you are not able to access IRST in the bios, even though the 8 GB IRST partition is clearly available on the SSD drive.

TB

2 Posts

August 26th, 2013 19:00

I've been having this same issue on my XPS as well.  Upgraded the BIOS to A02, the 8GB partition is listed, and IRST is enabled in BIOS.  I don't think I missed anything, but I'm still consistently seeing this issue on my system.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2013 23:00

Is anyone still following this issue? My monitor is still failing to turn on every second or third boot coming out of S3 or S5.  This is unacceptable to what is supposed to be a premium convertible.  Hopefully someone is still working on fixing this.

17 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 15:00

My issue is a bit different; I have a Haswell XPS 12 about a week old, running Windows 8 Pro. (Non-typical features: I'm using a Dell docking station, a Dell 23" touch monitor, and a Dell wireless keyboard & mouse set.)   Per this thread, I downloaded BIOS A02, and when I installed it, it said A02 was already installed, but I re-installed it anyway.  The Display (A/C) is set to turn off in two hours, and sleep is set to "Never" for both A/C and battery.

When I leave the computer turned on overnight, the screen is blank in the morning.  However, the computer behaves as though it's in some kind of permanent sleep mode.  When I try to "wake" it, the keyboard lights up, and the screen flickers a bit, but it never "wakes up", even though sleep is turned off.  Each morning I've had to make a hard re-boot, and it corrupted the format on my portable hard drive, which lost all of my backups. I thought it was a fluke, but it happened again on the next  "hard wakeup' too;  guess I'll have to leave that unplugged until this is solved, although that means my night-time scheduled backups can't run.

I've just turned off Intel Rapid Start in BIOS to see what happens tomorrow, but now re-starts are brutally slow. Very disappointing for what I expected to be a premium machine.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 13:00

Yes, I continue to have this problem of my laptop not turning on/waking up from sleep, the keyboard sometimes lights up but nothing happens. I have to hard reboot almost every single time, especially if I am coming back to the laptop the next day.

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2013 19:00

Have AO2 loaded and still seeing the blank screen on waking from sleep.  Have to cycle it back to sleep in the blind and patiently wait about a full minute for it to go back to sleep, then it wakes normally on the second try.  Also Outlook 2013 email hyperlink stop working after waking from sleep, I have to keep rerunning a registry patch from Microsoft (Fix-It 20056) and rebooting to restore.  Have also had the computer come alive in the case and try to smoke itself once, but not since the new firmware.  Also got to see what a BSOD looks like in Win8.  This machine is also much slower than my 2011 Win7 Acer 1810.  There seems to be a full second delay in any sound effects.  Opening Task Manager with CTRL-Shift-Esc takes 3 seconds.  Opening cells to edit in Excel with a right click takes a second or two making you think the mouse click is not working. What an expensive pile of <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> this XPS 12 is proving to be.  Don't care if it's Windows 8 or Office 2013 or the firmware or the hardware.  For this price point, Dell should deliver something that works and is more stable than my Acer Win7.  BTW, the version of Office 2013 that ships (Professional) is the same as Home; it does not have the "Plus" features such as Inquire for Excel that I need.  This machine is not suitable for business users.  Advising my company not to buy any more of these.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 20:00

I got this same error still. I'm running BIOS version A03. For those of you with the same problem, I got a better workaround then giving it a hard reboot every time: Just bring it back to sleep again with the powerbutton and wake it up again. Then *magically* the screen does show.

By the way, for debug purposes: It's really only the laptop screen that is not detected: my TV (connected via displayport -> HDMI) is properly detected every time. Depending on if the laptop screen is detected, it's shown in clone mode or external display only mode. Even from device manager or the display settings, it will not detect the laptop screen.

January 8th, 2014 15:00

Dell - What is going with this?

You said a new BIOS solved the issue, so I downloaded it and went to run I received a message saying that my current bios is newer. Have you really created a new bios that recreates the issue???

I cannot use sleep or hibernate now without having this issue and performing hard reboot almost every time. I just spent euro 1500 on a machine that cannot perform the most basic windows functions.

What is my course of action?

5 Posts

February 13th, 2014 11:00

Newcomer to this thread. I'm having a very similar experience to what YGGY described: my screen sometimes does not turn on, but the rest of the computer is fully functional, and can be put back to sleep--and then it will wake normally. (Just like YGGY, a cloned external display will turn on. It didn't occur to me until just now to see if the system responds to touch input from the blank screen, but I'll try that next time I have an external display handy.) I just received my 9Q33 last week, as warranty replacement for a 9Q23 related to the LCD image retention issue, so the problem is new to me; fortunately, because the sleep-wake technique still works, I haven't had to deal with the consequences of any improper shutdowns. I'm running BIOS A04.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2014 18:00

Hi everybody. I haven't had any problem anymore for a few weeks. Unfortunately I don't exactly remember what I did, but it fixed it. I checked what I installed since my last post: I installed the latest Touchpad drivers (that was for a memory leak issue) and WiFi drivers. I suggest you try this as well, and please confirm if this was indeed the solution.

good luck!

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 15:00

Have you still had complete success with this? Mine seems to be getting worse: for the past week or so, I come up with my display not detected EVERY time I turn the computer on, whether it's only been asleep for a few minutes or a whole weekend. I don't think I've changed anything recently, so this uptick in the failure rate has me a little worried.

I say "display not detected" because the touch input continues to work. With an external display connected, I looked at the Device Manager, and under "Monitors" it only showed the external display. I could still use my touchscreen to interact with the OS. I tried "scan for hardware changes" to see if the panel would register, but to no avail. Putting the computer back to sleep and waking it up again brought the screen up, and added "Generic PnP Monitor" to the Device Manager.

So far, this has only been an annoyance; I haven't lost any data or sessions from this wake-sleep-wake ritual. One comment is that I did have to install a graphics driver obtained from Intel directly a few weeks ago, rather than through Dell, because the most recent Dell-supplied driver was throwing errors relating to "Intel Display Driver stopped responding" on some wake attempts; in other web discussions, I found people mentioning how to force the XPS 12 to use a newer driver version in which that issue was resolved.

5 Posts

April 9th, 2014 10:00

I can see this thread isn't getting a lot of activity, but I'll post this update in case someone else finds it useful down the road. I've found a connection between this behavior and however the system keeps track of opening and closing the lid. If the machine wakes up with no screen, I've been able to bring the screen back 100% of the time simply by closing and reopening the lid.

It's possible that my version of this problem only happens to people whose computers don't automatically sleep when the lid is closed, which is a non-default behavior. I'll quickly describe the steps I took to identify this solution, in case anyone is interested.

By default, my system was originally configured to go to sleep if I closed the lid. I always manually put it to sleep before closing it, so I wasn't aware of that default at first. But likewise, I prefer to open the lid and then wake the machine (in case I want to clean the screen, for example). However, I found it waking up immediately upon opening the lid. When I disabled the closing-the-lid-puts-computer-to-sleep setting, this behavior ceased, but that's presumably when no-screen-at-wake began. I didn't think to investigate this direction until a day when I didn't close the lid, because the computer stayed at my desk. I put it to sleep and woke it several times over the course of the day, and the screen turned on correctly every time. I've also confirmed that when I close the lid while the machine is awake and an external display is connected, the internal monitor disappears from the device manager, and reappears when I open the lid.

7 Posts

August 7th, 2014 13:00

Didn't know what I was getting into until I started reading these Dell Forums. Just want to report that I have both these issues on recent new laptop.

1. Wake from sleep, the keyboard lights up, but blank screen, requiring forced shutdown to recover.
    Verified Intel Rapid Start is not installed in Windows and A06 BIOS has not such option.
  2. Temporary image retention/ghost burn-in issue shows up all the time. 
    I have latest A06 BIOS and latest video driver.

XPS 12 9Q33 with i7 4510U CPU. Intel released that CPU recently in Q2 2014. This suggests this laptop model line is still suffering from wake from sleep blank screen & image retention issues that a lot of others have reported from over 1 year ago.

Wake from sleep issues - XPS 12 9Q23
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19482384.aspx 

Wake from sleep issues - XPS 12 9Q33 Haswell CPU
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19517524/20416003.aspx 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19519068.aspx 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19517951.aspx 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19527106.aspx 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19527493.aspx 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19593854.aspx 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19595193.aspx 

7/2013 Dell A02 BIOS acknowledging wake from sleep issue with possible fix, but even the newest A06 BIOS doesn't fix the issue to this day 8/2014.
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=616684 

Screen Image Retention - XPS 12 9Q23, 9Q33
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19497269.aspx (66+ pg of complaints)
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19543016.aspx 

No Events found!