Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2014 13:00

No sound coming from XPS L502X

The sound from my laptop stopped working and I am not sure why. I have looked through as many settings as I could and can not diagnose the problem. The headphone jacks work perfectly fine and the playback devices show that sound is playing, but nothing is coming out. Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 13th, 2014 08:00

Also I went into the device manager for my audio drivers, I uninstalled them, and then rebooted. That re-installs them, correct?

Yes. If you do that and do not check the box to "delete the driver software", then when you reboot the Realtek audio driver is rebuilt from the existing files on the hard drive, with the driver's default configuration restored. If you do check the box then the Realtek files are deleted, then when you reboot Windows installs its own native audio driver (named in Device Manager "High Definition Audio Device").

Another way of re-installing the Realtek driver is to download and install the version from the XPS L502x download page. If you want to do that be sure to select your operating system from the drop down menu. Doing it this way gets a fresh copy of the files which is good in cases where driver corruption is suspected, or when a driver needs updating.

Based on that information do you think that it could be the failed sensing circuitry?

Here are the symptoms of a failed sense pin:

* Speakers don't work and are not muted or deselected
    * Headphone jack does work
    * Reinstalling audio driver does not help
    * Audio test in Dell Diagnostics passes
    * On models with 2 headphone jacks, one may be "checked" in the control panel as if in use
    * Sometimes but not always, a very gentle wiggle of a plug in the jack will get it to resume normal functioning, at least temporarily.

If you have those symptoms then it is pretty certain you have the failed sense pin. There is no direct test for it. The symptom "Audio test in Dell Diagnostics passes" means that you should hear the tones or music during the audio tests, as you did.

I passed all of the tests in the category except for "Headphone 1 (HP1) playback test" and "Headphone 2 (HP2) playback test."

I don't know how to interpret that. You did not hear audio through headphones during the tests, but you do when you are back in Windows?

is there anyway for me to fix that?

The way to fix it is to replace the jack, however the jack in your model is integrated into the motherboard which makes it difficult to do. If this had happened when your warranty was still in force, Dell would have replaced the entire motherboard. If you are interested in working inside your laptop you can get the Service Manual from the XPS L502x documents page. If you get the manual then download it into Adobe Reader to see it right.

I list some possible workarounds in the Headphone Jack FAQ. Go down to section 5 there and try the last workaround -- the one for Realtek audio. That was something I came across on the internet and I have no idea if it works or not.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 12th, 2014 14:00

Hi rjacinto,

This seems to be an issue with the speaker. Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/YeuzUO

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 12th, 2014 16:00

The sound from my laptop stopped working and I am not sure why. I have looked through as many settings as I could and can not diagnose the problem. The headphone jacks work perfectly fine and the playback devices show that sound is playing, but nothing is coming out. Any suggestions?

Hello. These symptoms most often occur because there has been a failure of the sensing mechanism of the headphone jack. Here are the steps to take to diagnose the problem.

First, re-install your audio driver to rule out any misconfiguration. Re-installing re-sets the configuration to its default.

Next, rule out speaker failure -- what Senthil S mentioned --  by running the PSA (or ePSA) diagnostics, as follows:

Re-start the computer and at the Dell logo screen tap the F12 key until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).

At the One Time Boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then Enter.

Look for a "Perform Quick Audio Check" button on the bottom right side of the ePSA main menu screen. Press the button and check if you can hear the beep tones from the speakers.

If you do not have the "Perform Quick Audio Check" button then do this. Start the PSA tests and when it performs the color test it will ask you if you see the color bars on the screen. Deliberately fail the test by answering no (press the "n" key) instead of yes. When you do that the PSA test will emit a series of beeps. Listen for the beeps.

If you don't hear the beep tones that means that the speakers have become disconnected or have failed.

If you do hear the tones that means that the speakers are working and are connected. In that case the reason that audio is not coming through them is that the sensing circuitry in the headphone jack has failed. When that happens it prevents audio from being switched from the jack to the speakers.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2014 20:00

Thank you, Jimco, for your response. I ran the diagnostics test that you mentioned and I found that the speakers do work. Once I was in there I also went into something called the symptom tree and ran the tests for "no audio or sound" and I passed all of the tests in the category except for "Headphone 1 (HP1) playback test" and "Headphone 2 (HP2) playback test." The error codes I received for those two were 1B63:1B1B and 1B63:1C1B.  Also I went into the device manager for my audio drivers, I uninstalled them, and then rebooted. That re-installs them, correct? Based on that information do you think that it could be the failed sensing circuitry? And if that's the case, is there anyway for me to fix that? Thank you very much for your help, again.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2014 12:00

Jimco, I went to your workaround page and tried to download the Toshiba driver, but I have Windows 7 so that didn't work. I also tried option four, the one you found, and tried to follow the steps but couldn't figure it out. Eventually I went back into the device manager, rechecked my drivers, opened the properties for my Realtek driver, and selected the "roll back driver" option. After doing this it prompted me to restart. Once my laptop rebooted I checked my playback devices and switched the default from headphones to speakers and I now have sound out of my speakers again :)  [Note: my Realtek driver never had a headphones option under playback devices]

This left me with the High Definition Audio Device driver. I thought i'd give it another shot and re-installed the Realtek audio driver and once again my speakers no longer played sound so I just repeated the process I explained earlier and once again my speakers worked. I wonder why the Realtek driver no longer works for me, but I guess this solution seems to be doing just fine.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 13th, 2014 21:00

Thanks for letting me know what worked for you. I have added what you said to the workaround section.

No Events found!