Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 29th, 2012 10:00

No sound on my computer

I had gotten a virus or worm on my laptop (letting too many people use it), and i eventually had to delete EVERYTHING off of my laptop. Well, after getting almost everything re-downloaded, I realized I can't find the CD-rom to re-download the sound to the computer. I have Windows XP and was wondering if there is a download i can install that has all the sound drivers, or codes i need to get sound again on my laptop. when i look at the device manager it's yellow with a question mark or exclamation mark on all of the categories under: Other devices like Ethernet controller, Modem device on high definition audio bus, video controller, etc. Than there is another is another one i think i might be really needing that has a yellow question mark and exclamation mark which is DT High Definition Audio CODEC. If you can give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it. I can not find the CD-Rom  to install again, but if i can download it without the CD-Rom, please let me know! Thank you

105 Posts

May 29th, 2012 10:00

Hi gfs329,

Welcome to the community

As you have clean reinstalled the operating system that is the reason you are missing on the device drivers for your computer, In order to download the drivers you need to  log on to www.support.dell.com and click on the drivers. Please your your dell computer system service tag. You will get the list of drivers for your dell computer. You can install the required drivers from there.

Also, we can help you with the  required drivers. We would require the service tag number of your desktop to check the drivers for your system. Kindly add me as a friend and PM the laptop’s service tag number.

Let me know of the findings.

Glad to be of assistance.

Ravi Mohindroo

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 29th, 2012 11:00

Hello. It is not sufficient to merely use your Service Tag number to find the drivers for your laptop. You must also install them in the correct order or else the audio driver will not install.

You have to install the Notebook System Software first, before any drivers, then restart the laptop.

Next you must install the cpu chipset driver -- if you have an Intel processor then it is the Mobile Chipset driver -- and restart your laptop.

Next you can install the drivers.

If you need more help in the future with your audio please include the model name of your Dell laptop. Thanks.

No Events found!