Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2011 20:00

No warranty

According to the Dell support site, using the service tag, my new XPS 17 is out of warranty and I've had it for less than three weeks.

A horizontal line of messed up pixels appeared near the bottom of the screen after only a few hours use.

Is it normal not to have any warranty, and have I got any hope of getting anything done about it?

90 Posts

May 16th, 2011 22:00

From my experience I found half the website status reports relating to my support and service calls to be either incorrect or missing altogether. You may be victim of a system glitch.

My advice would be to get straight on the phone to them, and if you don't get a reasonable answer quickly  then use the Unresolved Issues link at the bottom of Dell website pages to get something officially into the system and start a paper trail.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Was the system purchased other than from Dell?

The display panel needs to be replaced.

11 Posts

Straight from the Dell website, unless I've been scammed somehow.

11 Posts

May 17th, 2011 00:00

Thanks for the advice. I've been in a pretty rotten mood about it, seeing as I paid a couple of hundred extra for a three year warranty, only to be confronted with "There are no service contracts or warranties associated with this system."

11 Posts

May 17th, 2011 03:00

Interesting. Warranty and service contract info has appeared now... Maybe I was just being impatient. :)

11 Posts

Computer itself says it's under warranty until 2014. Check the warranty status on the website, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

Try to send an email to support, told it's out of warranty in huge blue print. I give up.

11 Posts

Interesting. Warranty and service contract info has appeared now... Maybe I was just being impatient. :)

90 Posts

May 17th, 2011 17:00

Use this, it'll get you in contact with someone who you can then hound to get your issue fixed.

http://content.dell.com/_layouts/xdb.ashx?global:corporate:external:outstanding_issues

2.2K Posts

May 17th, 2011 17:00

He cannot use that form without a case or reference number.

Since it is so new, do you still fall within the 21 day return policy? If so, I'd return it and order new over having a new but already repaired system at full price.

11 Posts

May 26th, 2011 02:00

It's all sorted. The tech's just come and replaced the display panel. And indeed, it was because it was so new the warranty wasn't showing up in the system - this came up when I called support.

It was a pretty painless resolution after all my angst. I guess this sort of thing happens from time to time, and I just happened to be unlucky. Happy now. :)

2.2K Posts

May 26th, 2011 08:00

It was a pretty painless resolution after all my angst.

That is good to hear. Sometimes people read these fourms and get worked up with worry or anger. These forums, though, represent a very small percentage of Dell users and do not give a fair picture of how satisfied people are with Dell.

Still, it is nice to hear the success stories, as people rarely post when Dell does the right thing. Thanks for sharing.

322 Posts

May 27th, 2011 13:00

Always, always call for information.

No Events found!