Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2017 16:00

No wireless adaptor

Strange issue with my laptop, was working fine closed it for 20 minutes, opened it back up and had no wifi. With further investigation, I have no option to switch on wifi in the network settings, no wifi menu in the network settings page, only bluetooth and ethernet listed on the network connections page, there is no wireless adaptor listed in device management->network adaptors, and all my attempts to download and install a new wireless adaptor have been unsuccessful.

Any ideas how to resolve this. Ethernet cable internet works fine. I've tried the intel driver update utility, tried manually searching for any updates, tried manually installing the intel wireless driver. Nothing working. Not too keen to do a system restore and lose all my installed programs. 

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 6th, 2017 12:00

In device manager the wireless adaptor was hidden and listed as having a code 45 fault

Devices in Device Manager show as hidden if the physical device is not connected, thus the error 45.  So there is a chance the device has actually failed.

Another option is Windows has blocked it in some manner and needs to be reminded it is there.  If you can disable the device in the Bios, do that and reboot a couple of times then re-enable the device.

You may want to uninstall the Bluetooth drivers also since that is on the save device.  When I uninstall a device, I check the box to uninstall all drivers.  With a Network adapter, you need to have its driver pre-downloaded.

There is a setting in Airplane mode where you can select it turning off both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth or just one of those.  But you normally know if the Airplane mode is enabled.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 6th, 2017 07:00

James wrote: " Not too keen to do a system restore and lose all my installed programs ".

:emotion-2:

You'll lose all programs doing a clean of install of windows or using the Reset PC tool on system. You won't lose any installed programs, photos, music, files or any important stuff using System Restore tool on the system. The tool will bring the system back to earlier time before the problem occurred. Please click on link below:

How to Use System Restore in Windows 7, 8, and 10

4 Posts

May 6th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for the reply, I've tried that with several restore points and gotten this error code: 0x80070091

4 Posts

Inspiron 5559. Windows 10.

As an update, In device manager the wireless adaptor was hidden and listed as having a code 45 fault. I've tried updating the wifi adaptor, reverting to an old version, then uninstalled it and attempted to reinstall (intel dual band wireless-ac 3160) but was unable to.

As for that diagnostic, the 5 minute test it ran did not return any issues.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

By the way, what is your model number and version of windows ? Ex: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

To find system information, type msinfo32 onto the search box.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please run Diagnostic tool to check the hardware on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it.  After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then run Thorough Test Mode. Please report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 6th, 2017 09:00

First - I suggest you download and run the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. It's the best for getting rid of nasty malwares that causes a lot of problems (code 45) on computers.

Malwarebytes | Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

Secondly - Run the System file checker. It scan for any corrupted system files that could be causing problems and fix those corrupt files as well:

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

If no corrupted system files were found , then I would suggest you try the following steps:

a) Select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command....  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 6th, 2017 09:00

Third -  Install all available windows updates: Type Check For Updates onto [Cortana] search box, and click Check for Updates. Note: If there are updates to be install, please don't wait later, click on "Restart Now".

Fourth - Click on link below to fix the System Restore tool:

Windows 10 Version 1607: System restore error 0x80070091 ...

Fifth - Disk clean up

Windows 10 – How to Open and Use Disk Cleanup

Sixth - Type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, click 'View All' and then run Network Adapter. Please run Hardware & Devices , System Maintenance,  and windows updates

Seventh - Run Guide Me option in your Dell Product Support page. It will automatically detect driver updates for your system.

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 6th, 2017 11:00

Deleted....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Deleted....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly,...

Reset windows 10 without losing files (or installed programs): Type Settings onto search box, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset This PC, and then Keep My Files.

Reset your Windows 10 system with the Keep My Files option

If none of the troubleshooting steps doesn't fix the problems, I suggest you do a clean install of windows 10:

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way

4 Posts

May 6th, 2017 16:00

Thanks for all the help guys, the one that fixed it was switching off wifi and bluetooth in the BIOS settings, rebooting, then switching them back on in the BIOS menu. I did try everything else as well though so maybe it's a result of several of them...? Anyway thanks a lot.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 6th, 2017 19:00

:emotion-2:

Glad to know WIFI is working again. Thanks for the update

No Events found!