Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2015 15:00

Noise when accessing hard drive

I have an Inspiron 17R SE 7720.  For the past several months, I have a metal grinding noise coming from around the hard drive.  I thought it was the drive, so I bought another one, cloned it, and began using it.  The problem continued and now even crashes the computer, sometimes leaving me at the blue screen of death.  I've done all the Windows updates (running Win 7 pro) and driver updates; did not fix it. I suspect it's a hardware problem, maybe the mainboard?

Does anybody know what this is and how to fix it?

14 Posts

April 4th, 2015 10:00

Well, it appears it was the fan.  I blew out some dust and have not had any noise sense then.  It's odd though because the noise was not coming from the fan area.  Oh well, it's fixed.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 31st, 2015 17:00

The only other thing it could be is a bad fan - which, if it's causing the system to overheat, would explain the crashes.

14 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 11:00

I don't think it's the fan.  I suspect it's a hard drive controller.  When it fails, it beeps and I can hear spinning and a metal noise.  It's not real loud and the hard drive light blinks or stays on when the noise is going on.  Any other ideas?

No Events found!