Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

December 31st, 2008 09:00

Not sure if power supply is working as it should on a Studio 1537

Hi, I think I might have a problem with the power supply on a new Studio 1537.

When the power cable is plugged into the mains supply then into the rectangle transformer and then into the Laptop it dose not seem to be charging the battery, when first purchased the power cable that plugged into the laptop had a blue circle that illuminated  when the power was on, now the blue circle lights up when first the power is switched on then goes off almost stright away.

Not being familiar with laptops I don't know if this is correct or not! Can anyone help me please.

1.6K Posts

December 31st, 2008 09:00

Is the battery fully charged?  If so, the charge lamp won't stay on.

7 Posts

December 31st, 2008 10:00

Thanks for the reply,

I switched the power supply too the laptop off for twenty minutes and turned it back on and I now have a constant blue light while the loptop is turned off, so I presume it is charging the battery ? at present the battery is about one quarter charged so I will leave it on until l the blue light goes out and check the battery then.

Thanks again for your help.

7 Posts

January 1st, 2009 02:00

Good morning and a happy new year,

Well I am still unsure if the power side of the laptop is working correctly, last night the batter was fully charged and I turned the laptop on with the power supply connected and turned on and instead of the power coming from the power supply it came from the battery and no matter how many times I turned the power off at the wall socket (with the laptop turned off) could I re-charge the battery!

So this morning I have unplugged the power supply from the wall socket and the laptop and plugged it into a standard power strip in my office and the laptop is now charging OK.

Am I doing somthing wrong??? or is there a fault with the laptop ?

78 Posts

January 1st, 2009 04:00

hi, not sure whats going on.  i have a studio 1537 and when the a/c adaptor is plugged into machine it is always lit up with the blue light even if battery is charged or not.  think it is just always on to show you it is live.

even out of the laptop it is blue and lit just because it is plugged in to an electrical socket.  you will be charged for electricity power even if its not attached to laptop!  same as with mobile phone chargers etc and if you leave anything on standby like tv.  (just a bit of info here)!

if your a/c adaptor is plugged in to electric socket then it should be blue.  if not perhaps its faulty, contact dell and they'll help you.

7 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 06:00

Hi, I think I have traced the problem! I am sure it is to do with the power supply and the 3 pin round plug that goes into the flat power converter.

I have found that by removing it and gently pushing it in will keep the blue power light on but will also cause some arching between the terminals which is not recommended, pushing the 3 pin round connection fully home will work occasionally but most of the time the blue light will come on and then go off after a few seconds or minutes.

I am waiting for dell to contact me and see what they have to say.

Regards

John.

1 Message

May 11th, 2009 19:00

The problem is with the design of the power adapter cord. If you notice there is a bit of play at the point where the blue light is connected to the rest of the cord. As time goes on that articulation begins to damage the connection to the rest of the power supply. If you noticed the light will weaken and then eventually completely darken. Also during the begin of this failure you maybe able to restore power to the computer by playing with the articulation. This will only last for a bit, and it should buy you some time until a replacement arrives.  Dell will replace the first one, but be prepared to pay $70 for every additional replacement. Also when you pay for a replacement it usually takes roughly 3 weeks for it to ship. If Dell had a clue they would remove the unneeded blue light and just have a fixed and more structurely stable power cord. This issue has happened two times since I bought my computer in December of 2008. And I never travel with my computer so there are rarely moments when that power cord is adjusted so the flaw will probably happen to many other power adapters of this nature.

May 16th, 2009 12:00

Hey,
I was hoping you could help me. The power cord I recieved with my laptop was unformtunately destroyed by my dog, so I looked for a replacement cord. I bought the Dell Slim Auto/Air/AC Adapter, and it doesnt seem to be working as it should. When I plug it in the battery wont charge, it simply powers the laptop. Also, a message comes up saying that the Power Cord only supplies 65W of power when 90W is needed.
When you say Dell replace the first one, would I be able to get a replacement of my original power cord and return the one I have now, and if so how would I go about doing so?
Thanks, any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

No Events found!