Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2015 13:00

Notification of update won't go away

Periodically I find a small (about 1.5x0.5 inches) white little text window in the upper left corner of my screen, saying, "Dell Update/Your system is up to date/Last scan (date)/Next scan(date).

The Last scan date will be the current day, the Next scan will be three days away.  The little window has no border or anywhere to click on it to get rid of it, and behaves as if it is not there - if I hover or click on it it activates whatever is under it.  However, since I cannot move it or make it go away, I can't tell what IS under it. 

As usual, right now it is covering up the first 1.5 inches of my address field in Firefox, so if I want to see what is there/what I'm typing I have to resize/move my browser window (not a trivial amount of screen to lose on a laptop).  This thing eventually goes away by itself, but I have no way to know when that will happen.

This is really infuriating, and appears to be some kind of fault in the program, SURELY nobody intended it to work this way.  Can you help me find a way to make the thing vanish?  When I open the Dell Update and Recovery program it has no helpful information, not even any way to track updates that I can see, which I would much prefer to this annoying and useless little obstacle.

Thanks.

Mary

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 17:00

You should include the model computer and the operating system when posting. To stop this problem, open Add/remove programs and find the Dell Driver update program and uninstall it. It is not a necessary program if you like to do your own driver updates. If you want,you can reinstall it later from here-- 

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

1 Message

September 21st, 2015 11:00

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm currently having the same problem! It won't go away...

1 Message

November 11th, 2015 22:00

Hello Mary, 

I realize I am probably too late to help you resolve the issue, however I am going to reply with my solution anyways for the people coming across this forum with the same problem. This solution was found on my Windows 10 OS, and may not be applicable to everyone's situation.

Here is a quick procedure to solve this problem:

1) Click the "Start" button

2) Click on the "Settings" option, in the bottom left of start menu

3) In the search box (Top right) enter "select which icons appear on the taskbar" and choose the only result from the search

4) You will see a list of programs with a On/Off toggle switch next to them. Scroll down the list and find "Dell Update" and set the toggle switch to On. (An icon matching the thumbnail next to "Dell Update" will appear on the right side of your taskbar)

5)Click on the newly appeared icon and select "Exit Dell Update". (Small annoying white box should disappear)

I understand this does not stop the box from appearing, but it should allow you to remove it when it does appear. 

February 29th, 2016 00:00

3) In the search box (Top right) enter "select which icons appear on the taskbar" and choose the only result from the search

Took me ages to get past this stage until I realised Microsoft had spelled "task bar" as one word!!! :emotion-39:

June 4th, 2016 02:00

Thank you very much MURPHYS_SLAW.

1 Message

September 12th, 2016 08:00

Thanks. Your post helped me. I will add though that I had to do it aa couple of times before it showed as you explained. So if it doesn't work for someone just try it again.

1 Message

November 27th, 2016 03:00

Thanks for posting this problem and thanks to MURPHYS_SLAW for the solution. It helped me ! I had the same problem on a Dell Inspiron with Windows10.

1 Message

August 4th, 2017 11:00

I had the same problem and I cannot tell you how MUCH I appreciate this answer and solution to my problem. It was getting extremely annoying so THANK YOU!!!

1 Message

November 29th, 2017 18:00

1. On you desktop, press WindowsKey-R, this brings up the Run prompt.

2. Type services.msc and hit enter. This brings up the list of services installed on your machine.

3. Look for the Dell ones in the list.

4. Open them, one by one, and in the General tab select the startup type “Disabled”.

5. Hit “OK” to save.

This method seems to work great for me! Although i am currently on a Windows 8 computer, this seems to work the best, as its seems to have permanently disabled the notification. This may work on Windows 10 although I'm not sure. - Explicit. / Zach

No Events found!