Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2012 04:00

Nvidia 650m not being detected on Dell Inspiron 7720 17R special edition

My service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

I recently got an indication to update to new BIOS in my dell center, so I did. Among that I also updated other things. Sound, and chipset HM77.I also updated video drivers, from NVIDIA website.

Everything seemed to have gone alright. I checked settings later and I could modify settings through the Nvidia Center.

I have no idea what happened, but at some point upon restarting my computer, only my intel 4000 HD graphics card is being detected, and no matter what I do. If I try to install any nvidia graphics card drivers , even from dell website it says that no graphics display is detected!

What do I do? I'm feeling desperate here :(

My graphics card is a Nvidia 650m GT, 2GB DDR5 that came with my inspiron. Please help!

943 Posts

November 20th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Thanks for contacting the community.

I would suggest you in check in Device Manger under Display Adaptors.

In case it’s not detected under Display adaptors try system restore.

To perform system restore please refer to the below mentioned link:

http://dell.to/opfa8C

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

1 Message

December 16th, 2012 08:00

My girlfriend and I have the same issue now. The problem is, this is the SECOND laptop that Dell's "updates" have broken. My questions is this; Why would Dell even be offering updates that seem to break their computers? This is the third occasion of this crap that I've heard about with the 17r special edition and all three involve the GT 650m. We're currently trying a system restore on the second laptop, (we had to have the first one replaced), but I'm not expecting much. Why Dell would allow the updates to screw with the BIOS functionality is beyond me. I'm just hoping that system restore allows restoration of stupid BIOS changes and whatnot that Dell's updates do, because I know from experience that their tech guys over the phone don't know how to fix it. 

7 Posts

February 16th, 2013 10:00

I fixed the problem on my SE 7720 (Windows 8) by re-flashing the BIOS (same version as before, A12). See this topic for more on that issue : en.community.dell.com/.../19478912.aspx .

10 Posts

April 29th, 2013 12:00

Please have a look at this post...

en.community.dell.com/.../20357857.aspx

17 Posts

May 17th, 2013 19:00

Only two month after the purchase, this problem comes out. Tried reinstall the driver, restore system, flash bios and the take out battery&press power button trick things, so far no solutions are worked. Without the GT650M, my 7720 SE is definitely daily computing laptop now. I hope dell can fix it, since this problem is really bothering to more and more people as it is still on sale... ...

No Events found!