Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2009 08:00

Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GS on Inspiron 9400 - blew third time

Fortunately I entered a 24h repair service contract at the time I bought my Dell Inspiron 29 months ago. Last week (Friday) my

graphics adapter gave up the ghost for the third time since day of purchase.

A phone call to the support center revealed that it could probably last "a couple of weeks" to get a service person fixing the problem. Dell has a shortage of these Nvidia units or Nvidia cannot keep pace with production.

There must have been some serious problem with these cards and I only hope that they got it fixed meanwhile. Surpisingly the technician announced himself today for a visit to exchange the card. Nice. It's fixed and I'm happily typing this again from my Dell 9400 notebooks' keyboard.

Somewhere I read (I may err) about a tool that controls the various fans and temperatures in the notebook (and maybe I even heard about this from a Dell person).

For instance I'm presently noticing that the graphics card fan is little running if running at all. Couldn't it be made running at least a bit more.

I would put up with a bit more noise for the sake of a little bit more life span of the graphics adapter.

--

Best

Christoph

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 7th, 2009 11:00

The 7900 GS video actually has a good track record; don't see many complaints of failure.

Use I8kfangui for temperature monitoring AND fan control. It works fine with the 7900GS. My wife's E1705 did not cool the GPU effectively with the BIOS fan program. It would get too high and then the fan would go to high speed, which really isn't pleasing. I was able to set a fan control protocol that works great. Fan never goes into high, and temps are well controlled; however, she doesn't game. If you want the temp settings , PM me and I'll send them.

25 Posts

April 8th, 2009 10:00

I had an E1705 and the 7900GS decided to quit working (replaced twice).  Dell told me they don't have the part to repair my E1705 so they replaced it with a completely different system.

As the previous poster, I used to use this to cool my system.  Very easy to setup and does the job.  I would not discount the 7900GS has a shorter life span if let temperature get too warm (i.e. playing game frequent).

Link:  http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

No Events found!