Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2012 14:00

Overheating Studio 15 Laptop

My 3-year old Studio 1555 laptop, sometimes overheats and shuts down itself. This has been happening for over one-and-a-half years now.

I called up the Customer Care and the first resolution (without physically checking the laptop) I got was to replace the motherboard, heat sink and the fan, which would cost me around $320.

I just want to know if it is necessary to replace these hardware, or can something else be done without spending much. ;)

Please provide your inputs.

Additional info:

•  I use an external Dell 24" monitor and I suspected that the overheating may be due to the graphic card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570) heating up. Not sure about it though. But sometimes that does not matter. The system heats up anyway.
  •  I use a monitoring software and my average core temperature remains between 70 and 80 degrees Celsius, sometimes even when the system is idle.
  • I have a 9-cell battery

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 29th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Did you receive any error codes before it shuts down? Like thermal error?

Few things to try;

- check air vents for any obstruction or dusts

- update BIOS ; http://dell.to/GZL4eM

Hope this helps,

March 29th, 2012 05:00

No error codes, it just trips. After it crosses the Tj Max, the power is cut off automatically.

There is no obstruction as I always use it on a table. And I cleaned the vents once some time back. I don't want to open the casing and clean it though.

Upgraded BIOS to A13 but no difference.

Additional Info:

I can always hear the fan spinning at a very high speed.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 29th, 2012 05:00

Clean the heatsink first.  If that doesn't help, replace the thermal pad between the heatsink and CPU/GPU.  

Unless the system is damaged to the point where it won't power up, there is no need to replace the mainboard or the CPU (though if the overheating continues, you will reach that point).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 29th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

I agree with the last comment, it will be your last resort to open up the computer and clean off some dirt in the computer. Parts involve are heatsink and fan. If you want a workaround you can buy a cooling pad to help lessen the heat inside the computer. (This will not always work, it serves as a cooling support only)

If it still shuts down. Im afraid you may need a board replacement.

Best regards,

No Events found!