Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

November 30th, 2008 15:00

PC2 5300 vs 6400 question

I'm definitely a noob attempting to learn and then make sense of the inside of my laptop/computer.  I have an XPS 1710 and I'm intending to upgrade from 2x1 gb 667 mhz to 2x2 gb.  My question is, if 6400 sticks are 200 pin is it possible and appropriate to use the PC2 6400 with 800 mhz in a system that was formerly PC2-5300 or will there be dire consequences?

My system died and I was advised it was the hard drive though I'm still thinking it was the mother board.  Dell is sending a tech to replace the hard drive and to look at the machine so either way I'll get it fixed.  I thought if I were to upgrade this would be the time to do that.

Any thoughts? 

Thank you in advance!!

799 Posts

November 30th, 2008 15:00

Hello JCM55, According to the specifications for your system, it only supports 667 mhz memory. Below is a link to the Manual.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1710/en/om/specs.htm#wp1083581

It does show it is 4 GB compatible in 2x2GB modules. The difference between 667 mhz and 800mhz would not be that much and maybe not even be noticeable in everyday computing. More memory would be noticeable however.

The 800 mhz may infact, be compatible with the system, but it would down clock to 667 mhz since this is all the system supports.

So if you purchased the 800 mhz, it would be a waste of money.

The Dell web site did have some good prices on their 667 modlues.

Hope this helps.

4.6K Posts

December 1st, 2008 08:00

The Dell web site did have some good prices on their 667 modlues.

There's a first time for everything :emotion-3:

When I bought my XPS M1730 back in April, Dell (UK) wanted £70 to upgrade it from the standard 2GB (2x 1GB) --> 4GB (2x 2GB)!

I suspect it'll cost quite a bit less now, but I was able to buy the 4GB Patriot Signature mentioned in my sig instead, for just £65 (delivered).

So I've got the 4GB Patriot plus the original 2GB which was shipped with my laptop, for less than Dell were charging just to upgrade from 2GB - 4GB at the time of purchase :emotion-55: :emotion-43:

So you'll understand my surprise at you suggesting they did have some "good" prices?

Do you mean "good" for Dell (i.e. compared to what they normally charged), or were the prices actually competitive (i.e. compared to the prices you could buy the same (or better) for elsewhere)?

No Events found!