Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2010 05:00

PCMCIA card in Latitude E6410

I have a PCMCIA card modem that works fine in my old Latitude D610, but it doesn't work in my new E6410.

The question I have is, do 16-bit PCMCIA cards actually work in the E6410? Is this a BIOS problem?

Has anyone gotten any PCMCIA serial or modem cards to work in an E6410 (or even E6400 since they seem to use the same chipset)?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2010 05:00

First question is, what does "doesn't work" mean - doesn't fit, or fits but you can't load the driver?

If it doesn't fit, did you order the version with the PCMCIA socket?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 4th, 2010 04:00

With that attitude, I doubt you'll get much else in the way of response.  You might consider returning the system in exchange for something you're more qualified to operate - such as a typewriter.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 4th, 2010 13:00

Dear Troll,

Please return to your cave.

Someone tries to get more information, and this is the only "useful" response you can provide ????  

wow

You really do have good people skills. NOT.

2 Posts

July 6th, 2010 10:00

we have already the same problem with my latitude e6410

my avm fritz card pcmcia 2.0 ist connectet but in the hardware list is a yellow !. not enough system adresses (how it called in english?).

dell has no solution, an released bios update does not work.

we will wait an work with external usb to isdn or usb to pcmcia.. i will update if i had any informations

bye
dgawin

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 6th, 2010 10:00

Have you tried a different PCMCIA card?  It's possible the issue is with the driver for the card, not the system itself.

2 Posts

July 6th, 2010 11:00

yes

we have tried the installation on different latitude and with different pcmcia cards. same problem...

July 6th, 2010 12:00

I ended up getting a definitive answer from NEC (who manufacture the PCMCIA card I am using).

Basically, it seems that the chipset Dell is using in the E6410 and E6510 is unable to allocate IO addresses below 0x1000 to PCMCIA cards.

Since most PCMCIA cards for simple things like modems use standard ISA addressing (i.e. below 0x1000), they are incompatible with the E6410 and E6510.

Their suggested solutions were to either:

1) Get Dell to update the BIOS (if that is where the limitation lies)

2) Buy a USB version of that card (since NEC does not manufacture USB, they gave me a list of competitors who do offer USB versions)

or

3) Buy a different computer

I actually like the E6410 (and since Dell support has been about as helpful as a wet rag) I'll probably go with 2), get a USB version. Not looking forward to shelling out $300 for something that should really work as-is...

35 Posts

July 12th, 2010 07:00

I also am having a PCMCIA problem with two different cards.  Both work fine on a E5500, E5400, and a E6500 but do not work on the E6410.  It's probably the same issue as above....that's very unfortunate.

I've seen a USB -> PCMCIA adapter for $160 but I shouldn't have to do that.  I'm going into a support chat right now and let the support people know about this issue.  I suggest others having this issue do the same...hopefully they will be able to fix it through code.

-Allan

2 Posts

July 14th, 2010 18:00

Same issue here.

I tried calling Dell but they are just giving me the runaround. Cannot get a straight answer out of them.

Has anyone gotten a response from Dell? Is this going to be fixed? Is it possible to get fixed?

For me, I'm going to have to cancel a 2-year contract with my telecoms company if I want to keep using the E6410. That really bites.

1 Message

August 25th, 2010 19:00

Work-around:  FOR E6410

-          Take the express daughter card out of PC card adapter.

-          Boot up system into XP OS, plug the PC card adapter only (no express daughter card) into PC card slot of system.

-          Go to device manager, change view to devices by connection and disable “Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller”.

-          Then plug the express daughter card into PC card adapter, which is still inside PC card slot.

-          In the device manager, all Sierra related functions are moved to branch of “NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller”. At this time system doesn’t lock up any more. But a warning message pops up saying “This device can perform faster etc”.

Stgood luck

Steve

1 Message

August 26th, 2010 08:00

Although this is a good workaround it should NOT be suggested as a answer.  The answer is for Dell to fix the issue through a firmware or driver update, not have people tear apart their laptops to make them work how they should.  With that said thanks for your post Steve as I'm hoping this wil fix my issue.

Can someone from Dell please acknowledge this problem and give the community a update on when they plan on properly fixing it?

To everyone having this issue:  Call Dell Support or get into a Dell chat session and tell them your having issues.  Link this post in your chat session or tell the person on the phone about it.  Make sure they know people are having problems so they can fix it.

1 Message

January 6th, 2011 15:00

I have found another workaround, with the help of google and a Dell Technician, that does not require any sort of hardware manipulation.  It seems that the express broadband card was being installed incorrectly as a CD/DVD ROM.  Once it has installed incorrectly, open up My Computer and right-click on the drive that was loaded and select explore.  From there go into the drivers folder and run NvtDriverCDFilter_V2.02.11.001.exe.  This will load all the modem drivers and successfully create the Novatel Wireless Modem device in device manager.  In that same folder you should see another executable to install verizon access manager.  That will install the software that the card needs to perform.

This is a known issue with Dell Latitude E6410's that is now documented with their support team for future reference.  

Hopefully this helps

1 Message

June 16th, 2013 19:00

I got a solution and my Dell E6410 is now working with my PCMCIA HDD adapter.  Open registry editor to find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia. If you don't find Parameters directory, create it. Then under Parameters, you create IrqRouteToPciController as Dword (32 bit register) with value = 8.

No Events found!