Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2009 13:00

Patriot Torqx 128Gb SSD in an XPS M1710 (+ windows 7)

For those who want to upgrade their M1710 with an SSD:

IT'S POSSIBLE

Complicated but possible:

Procedure:

1/ format the SSD (NTFS)

2/ put the SSD in ANOTHER computer

3/a/ install the OS with the disk in THE OTHER computer <= important otherwise for the Torqx here is what happened to me: formated hard drive is recognized by the BIOS, but once I started the fisrt step of XP installation (first reboot), the hard drive wasn't recognized by the BIOS anymore. (Yeah, XP because I'm still a student and had a good price only for the upgrade of original windows [XP/Vista] to 7)

3/b/ once the OS is installed, try not to install the drivers of the "other" computer. I used a Toshiba laptop and everything worked perfectly

4/ put your brand new SSD with the OS in your M1710

5/ ENJOY   <= important too

I installed next windows 7, oh God, with the TorqX instead of the Seagate Momentus 7200.3, my "tiny" XPS is just flying... 10sec to boot ok 14 with norton 360 added and all the quickset apps... still, could be worst. Absolutely no waiting time for launching apps like those from Office, Photoshop or such things. For the games, they are running just like under XP   :-)   only loading times are smaller, but I won't complain.

So, can you install an SSD in an XPS M1710?     YES and if you are experiencing some issues of BIOS non recognition, don't panic, don't throw the disk out, install the OS like said previously. (I tryied during 2 days: ghost methods, other OS, and some other methods, none of them worked)

Does it bring something to this laptop?                OH YES, a lot

Does windows 7 works with this laptop?             YES, Perfecrly, moreover, I would recommand it to improve the lifespan of your SSD (seven detect the SSD and disable things like defrag, windows search engine etc). No problem with drivers (those for Vista downloaded from Dell). 

+ seven seems to be a lot better than Vista [insert dirty nickname for this OS \ sarcastic joke]

Hope this post will help someone, I didn't found any post related to a SSD upgrade for a XPS M1710.

:emotion-2:

No Responses!
No Events found!